Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ogie Ogilthorpe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
I am trying to transfer a 7GB file under boot camp. I have allocated 20GB to the boot camp partition, and have 12GB of free space. Each time I try and transfer the 7GB file, I receive an error half way through saying there isn't enough disk space.

Any thoughts or help?

Thanks

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Ogie Ogilthorpe said:
I have allocated 20GB to the boot camp partition, and have 12GB of free space.
You wouldn't happen to have formatted that space using FAT32 would you?

Maximum file size for FAT32 is just under 4GB or about half way through a 7 GB transfer.

B

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Ogie Ogilthorpe said:
I am trying to transfer a 7GB file under boot camp. I have allocated 20GB to the boot camp partition, and have 12GB of free space. Each time I try and transfer the 7GB file, I receive an error half way through saying there isn't enough disk space.

Any thoughts or help?

Thanks

How is the drive formatted? NTFS or Fat32?

Ogie Ogilthorpe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
NFTS or FAT32

I am not sure which I formatted it as - is there an easy way to tell?

Thanks!

Charlsetown Chiefs

chapinmesa

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2006
If your actually able to boot into Windows. Go to my computer, right click your C: (local disk) and click properties. It should tell you there with all the info, just as OSX does. Not being totally sure of your situation, you could also boot from your Win Xp disk, let it run threw the standard junk, and it will tell you the file type in the formatting / partitioning menu, from there you can just exit out, without harming your files.

hope this helped :)

Ogie Ogilthorpe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Thanks!!

I wanted to thank everyone for the help. My drive is in fact formatted for FAT 32. This, any 1000's of other reasons why I hate Windows. Unfortunately, the rest of the world opperates in it!!

Thanks for all the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.