Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarensw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2023
Developer here 👋

FileFillet is a minimalist MacOS app that simplifies file copying and moving. There is a tab shown on the side of the screen where you can drag & drop files and folders to your favorite directories. I made this as I constantly had too many Finder windows open.

It is purely made in Swift and for MacOS only.

Free download here: filefillet.com . Looking forward to your thoughts and feedback.

main_v0.14.0_1080p.gif

sarensw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2023
Thank you so much for sharing those tools. Will give them a try. Not sure about DefaultFolderX, but my impression on Finder Windows is that this tool is about taming open Finder windows. FileFillet for me is about preventing to open that many Finder windows at all. You download something? Just drag it to some directory without any Finder window. Need to organize files in a directory? Just move them wherever you want without navigating in a second Finder window. That's somehow the idea about the app.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Developer here 👋

FileFillet is a minimalist MacOS app that simplifies file copying and moving. There is a tab shown on the side of the screen where you can drag & drop files and folders to your favorite directories. I made this as I constantly had too many Finder windows open.

Free download here: filefillet.com . Looking forward to your thoughts and feedback.

View attachment 2233991

Is it available through the AppStore? I don't download apps like this outside the AppStore. Your website is also having problems for me, the download button doesn't expose it's target link, for example, one of the images doesn't load and the cart says something is wrong when I click it.

Does it only accept d&d from Finder, or can you drag from other sources, such as the document chit in most application title bars?

sarensw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2023
Is it available through the AppStore? I don't download apps like this outside the AppStore. Your website is also having problems for me, the download button doesn't expose it's target link, for example, one of the images doesn't load and the cart says something is wrong when I click it.

Does it only accept d&d from Finder, or can you drag from other sources, such as the document chit in most application title bars?
The app will be available in the AppStore starting from August 1st.

Thanks for the pointing out the issues on the site. The button doesn't expose the link because it is literally a html button, and not a link. Didn't think about this. I'll change this to a link. You are essentially guided to Gumroad which hosts the site right now.

You are able to drag files from any source.

Reactions: Analog Kid

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The app will be available in the AppStore starting from August 1st.

Thanks for the pointing out the issues on the site. The button doesn't expose the link because it is literally a html button, and not a link. Didn't think about this. I'll change this to a link. You are essentially guided to Gumroad which hosts the site right now.

You are able to drag files from any source.
Thanks. Post a reminder when Aug 1 comes around, and I'll give it a look.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing those tools. Will give them a try. Not sure about DefaultFolderX, but my impression on Finder Windows is that this tool is about taming open Finder windows. FileFillet for me is about preventing to open that many Finder windows at all. You download something? Just drag it to some directory without any Finder window. Need to organize files in a directory? Just move them wherever you want without navigating in a second Finder window. That's somehow the idea about the app.

I like the idea. It's like having a whole bunch of folder aliases on the desktop, without taking up desktop space. Also, you can drop on subfolders of those aliases. Cool idea and something that would definitely help me.

Reactions: AlumaMac

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
You are correct about Finder Windows. I mentioned it because you said in your original post, "I made this as I constantly had too many Finder windows open.", so I thought it might be of interest to you.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I guess I just use tabs in Finder. I keep some tabs open all the time, like Downloads and my main Projects folder. Then I open up specific project work folders or related folders in tabs. I can then drag files between then as needed or open files in a given folders. I also use this instead of using the File/Open dialog as I hate having to always navigate around to different folders to open files. My files are usually in one of the tabs in Finder.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Developer here 👋

View attachment 2233991
It seems the default is for the app to be located on the left side of the screen.
I have the Dock set up on the left side to save vertical space, as I often work on Word documents.
Can it be set to be located on the right side of the screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.