Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
Well a friend of mine wants to create a small database to replace some reports that are currently being done on excel for this new business that he has. So he calls me up and asks me if I know about MySql because he wants me to walk him through the database creation process, and he also wants to know how he can share this database so that everyone can read and modify it. He is not in IT so of course he doesn't realize that it's not that simple. So I explained to him what a DBMS is and how he would need to code an app to read and write to the database.
Later, he calls me again and tells me (half-jokingly) that I'm a useless Systems Engineer because he read in a forum somewhere that he could use Filemaker. I was about to tell him that it was the exact same thing with Filemaker, but then I realized that I've never used Filemaker so I really don't know (I'm a Mac user but also a Windows developer... :eek:). So I was wondering if Filemaker is just your good-old DBMS or if it has features that would allow my friend to create a small database (a la Access) and share it over a network without any actual programming...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.