Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wasser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2021
I have Mac OS X Catalina (10.15.7) on a Mac Mini (late 2014).
Any file or folder, when placed on the computer desktop, automatically positions itself on the top right corner of the computer screen.

I am currently not able to physically move these files or folders to any other position on the computer screen with the computer mouse.
The files and folders seem to be locked in their upper right corner position.

The documents can be opened or moved elsewhere on the computer, such as in another folder, or off of the computer desktop completely.
This applies to generic Mac folders, as well as the following file extensions: .jpg, .tif, .mp3, .wav, .mp4, .docx, .xlsx (basically any file extension).

In System Preferences > Users & Groups I am logged in as the Administrator.
When I open any of the above noted files or folders in Get Info > Sharing & Permissions, I am listed as the Administrator with a Read & Write Priviledge.

Thanks for any tips on how I can move files and folders in different locations within the computer desktop.
I was able to do this yesterday, and I cannot identify any changes made to the computer settings since then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.