Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

partsofspeech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
The Files app on iOS 11 to me is a half-baked app. I hope it would be amended with the unfinished in the 12. Since I haven’t installed the beta, I was wondering if someone that has could comment on the Files app.

Reactions: pdoherty

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Its the same and they still not fixed the inverted videos when smart invert is enabled. Don't see the point for this app really.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Next big revision for the files app is scheduled for iOS12. Should include support for tabs and other power users features

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
Its the same and they still not fixed the inverted videos when smart invert is enabled. Don't see the point for this app really.
Smart invert isn't true dark mode, why is it expected to work as if it were? It's a great app many had been asking for as a single location to search through files across multiple apps and it can be sent to the cloud. What's not to like about that? Looking forward to how they improve upon it.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Smart invert isn't true dark mode, why is it expected to work as if it were? It's a great app many had been asking for as a single location to search through files across multiple apps and it can be sent to the cloud. What's not to like about that? Looking forward to how they improve upon it.
Smart invert is an accessibility feature specifically made to invert text and background and keep images and videos normal. It’s the only native app with this issue. Even some third party apps have great support with smart invert.

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
Smart invert is an accessibility feature specifically made to invert text and background and keep images and videos normal. It’s the only native app with this issue. Even some third party apps have great support with smart invert.
I know what it was meant for but most users complaining about it are doing so because they're using it in place of a nonexistent dark mode. I don't think Apple is fully invested in yet (it as an accessibility feature) but I can appreciate third party apps are making up for it's shortcomings.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I recently had a ton of problems with the files app on iOS 11 iPad Pro, as in it’s not updating reliably! I change something in my Dropbox, and files app shows some of the changes, but folders appear twice, some files don’t, others are duplicate, it’s weird! Hope they improved this in ios12.

Reactions: nathanalf

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
The files app has one major improvement: you can swipe sideways from a preview of a file to see previews of other files, without having to close the preview first.

I suspect that more significant improvements (and bigger iPad-related updates) are coming next year — they seem to be on a two-year cycle for iPad improvements nowadays.

Reactions: canesalato

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
The files app has one major improvement: you can swipe sideways from a preview of a file to see previews of other files, without having to close the preview first.

I suspect that more significant improvements (and bigger iPad-related updates) are coming next year — they seem to be on a two-year cycle for iPad improvements nowadays.
Indeed! Nice catch, i was about to write about it. This is particularly useful for pictures, as you can swipe among them as you would in the Photo app. It’s a small change that opens new use cases for Files. Interestingly, it can be a little laggy for large files in crowded folders.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.