Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I'm trying to add a favourite in Files app. Ideally a folder from Dropbox.

I'm holding down the folder but nothing happens. I've tried a force touch but same nothing?

Am I doing something wrong, or is this not possible?

Thanks

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Well I can't find a way at all, only one can do it in its iCloud drive, and then only on converted not files.

Anyone help/check

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Dropbox, Onedrive, etc are not fully integrated into the Files app yet. Until they update their apps you cant.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Even though the last dropbox update was a week ago stating iOS 11 compatibility!

Got a tweet from them last night saying they weren’t sure when the next update will be out to fix the issue.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Speak of the devil Dropbox app was just updated.

Sucks you have to disable the passcode to use it in Files, but that makes sense I guess as it couldnt get data from a passcoded dropbox

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Speak of the devil Dropbox app was just updated.

Sucks you have to disable the passcode to use it in Files, but that makes sense I guess as it couldnt get data from a passcoded dropbox

Must have heard me moaning!!

Just updated and now you can, great. Hopefully others follow suit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feenician

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Ah ok it's not me then. Pity as looks good idea. Hope they integrate better

i was also looking for a way to favorite a particular folder or file.
but no way right now.
but thats probably why they have the Recents area.
iOS is all about having all files (and music and photos) available, but not actually on your device.
so "most used" or recently used class of data will be given more and more prominence.
eventually there will be max 128GB drives on iPhones with instantaneous download capability.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Now if Microsoft will release an update for OneDrive, Files will get somewhat useful to me

I sent a request/feedback through TestFlight as I test Word and Excel. The response was not inspiring. Microsoft’s problem here is they’ve built that whole “Backstage” file dialog into everything on every platform and they won’t want to cede it.

I have a feeling we’ll get half-hearted Files integration eventually but the Office apps won’t just use the system/Files app dialog for open and save. I hope they prove me wrong though.

Reactions: richpjr

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I sent a request/feedback through TestFlight as I test Word and Excel. The response was not inspiring. Microsoft’s problem here is they’ve built that whole “Backstage” file dialog into everything on every platform and they won’t want to cede it.

I have a feeling we’ll get half-hearted Files integration eventually but the Office apps won’t just use the system/Files app dialog for open and save. I hope they prove me wrong though.

That would suck. I am a heavy office user for work and having it integrated with Files as it should be would make things much smoother.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
That would suck. I am a heavy office user for work and having it integrated with Files as it should be would make things much smoother.

I'm all in on OneDrive and Office and I frequently evangelise them (for all platforms) both here and elsewhere so I do to. Maybe they'll surprise me, integrate OneDrive and make Office like the Mac version where you can readily choose between the Backstage view and the system dialog. I hope so

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I'm all in on OneDrive and Office and I frequently evangelise them (for all platforms) both here and elsewhere so I do to. Maybe they'll surprise me, integrate OneDrive and make Office like the Mac version where you can readily choose between the Backstage view and the system dialog. I hope so

So I check for updates tonight, see one for OneDrive and briefly got excited that it was going to be major, but it was just a minor bug release.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Will for some reason I've now lost my Dropbox favourite folder.

It doesn't show up in the favourite menu item, if I go back to the actual folder in Dropbox on files app, hold down on it, it gives options to "unfavourite" it, I've tried toggling that but doesn't work

Last edited:
Reactions: canesalato

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
My favorite folders from dropbox keep appearing and disappearing at random. Dropbox integration seems EXTREMELY unstable. I would advise against using it, for now. And a backup, just in case

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
My favorite folders from dropbox keep appearing and disappearing at random. Dropbox integration seems EXTREMELY unstable. I would advise against using it, for now. And a backup, just in case

Ok not just me thanks. There done app is no just a viewer though anyway isn't it as such, Dropbox app is still there it's just a shortcut to it I believe

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Ok not just me thanks. There done app is no just a viewer though anyway isn't it as such, Dropbox app is still there it's just a shortcut to it I believe
Well, I’m really not sure but, as the Files has full writing powers, for now I will keep using the official dropbox client or Documents by Readdle, where the integration with Dropbox is properly done.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Well my favourite has reappeared, no intervention from me just came back?!?
Yes, it’s completely normal, but if you start moving, copying and renaming things in dropbox (from Files), I can almost guarantee that they will disappear again before 5 minutes... and then reappear at random once more.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Yes, it’s completely normal, but if you start moving, copying and renaming things in dropbox (from Files), I can almost guarantee that they will disappear again before 5 minutes... and then reappear at random once more.

Ok I'll just view in Files app for now then thanks, I'll move/copy etc via the Dropbox app.

Can you get files offline in the files app like Dropbox? Not sure of its redownloading every time I clock on a PDF in Files app. In Dropbox you mark as a favourite.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Ok I'll just view in Files app for now then thanks, I'll move/copy etc via the Dropbox app.

Can you get files offline in the files app like Dropbox? Not sure of its redownloading every time I clock on a PDF in Files app. In Dropbox you mark as a favourite.
I’m not sure as well...there’s a download button over each icon and, in theory, I would presume it should keep each downloaded file stored on the device cache until the device needs space...too bad my iPad has 150gb free and files keep going back to the cloud shortly after I download them... for no reason.
I’m sorry I can’t help, I’m just so frustrated with Files... It’s crap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.