Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krokens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Spain
Sorry if this point has been discussed before, but I couldn’t find anything.
I have an iPad Pro 11” 2018 with 256G storage. When I go into Files and see into the In my Ipad directory, it shows that i have 101,3 GB of free storage. However, when I look into iPad storage section in Settings, I see that I have only used 42,5 GB of the total 256GB (so, more that 200GB free).
Do you know why Files shows this short storage capacity? I thought that all storage can be used by Files app to store any files.

Sorry for my bad English. Thanks

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
by any chance have you deleted any files in files app. i believe everything will still be on recently deleted until a certain amount of days; So its like this your ipad will still have 42.5gb of used but on files app will show 101.3gb since files app is protecting the recently deleted files until its day its deleted; but lets say you only have 30gb left on ipad storage once you download something lets say 20gb worth your files app will sacrifice what you deleted even before its deletion date. sort of like overwriting the data. Go to recently deleted on files app and delete what ever is in there

krokens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Spain
by any chance have you deleted any files in files app. i believe everything will still be on recently deleted until a certain amount of days; So its like this your ipad will still have 42.5gb of used but on files app will show 101.3gb since files app is protecting the recently deleted files until its day its deleted; but lets say you only have 30gb left on ipad storage once you download something lets say 20gb worth your files app will sacrifice what you deleted even before its deletion date. sort of like overwriting the data. Go to recently deleted on files app and delete what ever is in there

Thanks for your answer. I previously deleted all the recent files, except some files (around 2MB) from my Google Drive. I tried many times to delete them, but I always receive a message saying that it’s not possible to delete them definitively. I entered in my Google Drive and I deleted them, but they continue appearing in the recent file directory. Anyway, the size of these files is only 2MB, so their size do not explain the big difference in storage.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.