Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregor.hoch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Just installed iOS 11 and I amd pretty disappointed with the third party storage integration. Why is there a different pop-up interface for Dropbox etc? Why can’t I add Dropbox folders to favorites? Why can’t I drag and drop from third party integrations? Sooo many things that’s make files pretty useless for now.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Just installed iOS 11 and I amd pretty disappointed with the third party storage integration. Why is there a different pop-up interface for Dropbox etc? Why can’t I add Dropbox folders to favorites? Why can’t I drag and drop from third party integrations? Sooo many things that’s make files pretty useless for now.

3rd parties can’t release apps with iOS 11 APIs until iOS 11 is released to the public. Right now it’s essentially just invoking the share sheet for each app. After release those apps which are updated will look and feel just like the iCloud section in Files.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
That is good to hear!! Thanks.

I feel your frustration on it though. Every year some of the more interesting additions to iOS can’t be tested by the masses who test the Dev Previews and Public Betas because apps using those additions can’t be released in the App Store. The only way you could try those features in Files this year is by contacting Box/DropBox/Microsoft etc. and getting into a beta program with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.