Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Hi guys,

I have just run into a very weird thing and have no idea what to do (Or if I can even do anything). I was looking for some files, which I store in my iCloud folder to have it synced on all devices and suddenly I notice ... Whole folder with a bunch of documents missing. I had just used documents from there a week ago. I checked my trash, I tried to recover them as stated by Apple, but they don’t seem to be anywhere to be found. Anybody run into something like this? Any ideas what to do?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
When you say checked your trash, you included the iCloud Drive Recently Deleted? I'm going to bet you searched everywhere, but could it have gotten moved inadvertently inside another folder on iCloud Drive?

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
When you say checked your trash, you included the iCloud Drive Recently Deleted? I'm going to bet you searched everywhere, but could it have gotten moved inadvertently inside another folder on iCloud Drive?
Yes, and then I went onto the iCloud website and tried to recover the files there, but none of them were listed. I have also searched everywhere, that was my first thought that maybe it was accidentally copied elsewhere, but not the case.

Restore them from your backup.
How would I go about doing that?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I was wondering that too: was this folder backed up to an external drive or was the iCloud version the only copy?

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I was wondering that too: was this folder backed up to an external drive or was the iCloud version the only copy?
Unfortunately no, as due to the current corona situation I have been stuck in another country from my home for the past 3 months and have not had access to my backup drive (and the folder was created since I have gotten here). I admit, probably a bit stupid for not keeping a copy on a non-iCloud folder, but I have never had any issues before.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Unfortunately no, as due to the current corona situation I have been stuck in another country from my home for the past 3 months and have not had access to my backup drive (and the folder was created since I have gotten here). I admit, probably a bit stupid for not keeping a copy on a non-iCloud folder, but I have never had any issues before.
I'm so sorry to hear this, and I hope otherwise you're doing well all things considered while stuck in another country.

Andychouin

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2021
Hey !! I had the same problem!! Is anyone found you a solution or have you ever find it back ?
Hi guys,

I have just run into a very weird thing and have no idea what to do (Or if I can even do anything). I was looking for some files, which I store in my iCloud folder to have it synced on all devices and suddenly I notice ... Whole folder with a bunch of documents missing. I had just used documents from there a week ago. I checked my trash, I tried to recover them as stated by Apple, but they don’t seem to be anywhere to be found. Anybody run into something like this? Any ideas what to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.