Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I want to use iCloud Drive as my main cloud storage because I am already invested. However, is it possible to view files from the cloud without needing to download them? Almost defeats the purpose if my phone storage is full of files that are suppose to be in the cloud.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I don't understand what that means :(

It means the downloaded files don’t always stay on your device if you don’t have enough storage. Some will remain on your device, some won’t.

Think iCloud as an extension of your device storage, not a separate backup system. So you can just add things on and iOS / macOS deals with what stays on your device and what goes on cloud. It’s all dependent on file size, usage frequency, available physical storage on specific devices etc.

Reactions: davidmartindale

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
It means the downloaded files don’t always stay on your device if you don’t have enough storage. Some will remain on your device, some won’t.

Think iCloud as an extension of your device storage, not a separate backup system. So you can just add things on and iOS / macOS deals with what stays on your device and what goes on cloud. It’s all dependent on file size, usage frequency, available physical storage on specific devices etc.

Thank you, it's good to know I don't need to worry.

Since using files I have noticed some things that a good QOL update can fix.

1. Swiping to see additional images instead of backing out to the main menu and clicking on the next.
2. Setting images as wallpapers (There is an option for the watch face, so it seems like a strange omission to not have wallpaper)
3. Supporting more file type thumbnails. JPG, for instance, do not have preview thumbnails.

Other than these, it's very slick and I am glad I can just keep in the ecosystem without having to rely on other services.

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.