Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elgato2024

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
before I start testing this, what are your thoughts on that?

I need a fileserver, hosting a few terrabytes of data for a dozen or so people,
connecting via smb/afs onto it from mac-clients, either directly or via vpn.

I'm thinking, with macOS server gone, why not just do this anyway with a normal macOS version,
I mean, I can still set up a all those users, and have personal as well as common directories available via sharing,
that is all still possible and working, no? not much changes, or am I wrong?

the users can simply connect via smb & afp,
changing passwords maybe must be done via terminal but that's cool.

right? right?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Catalina is the last version of macOS capable of AFP sharing.
Since macOS Big Sur it is not possible anymore.
(AFP sharing of APFS volumes never worked)
I don't know any 3rd party solutions for macOS but if AFP sharing is a requirement, for Windows Acronis Files Connect exists.

elgato2024

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
hi arw, thanks for your input.
don't think I do need it, just wanted it to be there for the sake of old systems, just in case...
but I guess smb is supported since long enough... probably even earlier than catalina, right?

apart from that, any other potential problems with my plan?

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I use a M1 Mac mini as a fileserver @ home and have for years. Works great with my 5 Macs, 2 windows machines and 2 Linux boxes.

elgato2024

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
I use a M1 Mac mini as a fileserver @ home and have for years. Works great with my 5 Macs, 2 windows machines and 2 Linux boxes.
sounds good. I am most concerned about user and group management...
is that working fine for you? do you have several ppl accessing different shares with their own users on that server?

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I can't speak for users and group management because I am only set up with 3 users and share the amongst the different machines.

Last edited:

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Look at a NAS such as Synology

whilst people think of it a file storage then can also setup a directly server for user management in there and a VPN server.

users can have own shares and common shares that shared with everyone.

quiet and energy efficient as well.

also neater then running a separate mac, figuring How want to install the storage to it etc, handling multiple users, installing a VPN server solution.

a mac with sharing folders ok for one too users however for a dozen then especially handling password changes etc a pain.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
'especially handling password changes etc a pain'
how do you mean?
Mac really doesn’t have support for users changing password other than logging into it. No centralised user account. the account on there personal Mac and on the file server Mac are seperate.

so would have to have them login to the file server Mac as user as opposed to simply connect to the Mac storage To change the password.

with a nas then can setup directory server and run centralised user account that allows password management to be done easily.

elgato2024

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
i see.
but users can still login via terminal, ssh, and use the 'passwd' command, no?
not complicated, two commands...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.