Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMickle57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Last Christmas, I got a new Macbook, and since then I have logged quite a few hours on it (primarily home uses: music, video, e-mail, the occasional school paper). After getting used to the new OS, I was extremely happy with the outcome of my purchase and no problems occured - that is until last week.
I have a 100GB harddrive, filled with about 15 GB of music, pictures, and video, so I expected to have a little more than 70 GB remaining (accounting for Apple installed programs and files). However, I soon realized that I had far less than that and I was puzzled. I decided to take some initiative and delete some erroneous files and gained beck about 4 GB, but something was still missing. I researched the subject and checked my filevault, inevitably turning it off simply because it was unneeded. I downloaded WhatSize to see if I could locate any unnecessary files that I could delete, but to no avail.
So all in all I've tried everything I know and I can't find what's taking up all the space on my harddrive (I'm missing about 20GB). Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can locate/recover this space?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.