Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peaman69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
Hello All,

I need to encrypt my 2015 MacBook Pro to/at (?) 256 AES and hoped to used FileVault to do so. When clicking the "Turn On FileVault..." button, absolutely nothing happens. I have followed the instructions on https://www.macworld.com/article/3313592/macs/when-filevault-won-t-turn-on.html which seems to confirm that there are no other fixes currently in-place for this, that they are aware of.

I had originally tried this with the previous OS without success, before updating to Mojave hoping this would solve the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Or found a solution?

Alternatively, could someone be so kind as to recommend another solution for me to encrypt to/at 256 AES? This is completely new to me, so any links with step-by-step guides or very simple explanations would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

peaman69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
Bumping, in desperate need of help here, local "experts" have so far been fairly useless.

aaronraimist

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2017
Honestly no idea why it wouldn't work but you could try opening Console.app and looking at the logs and the system.log while you press the button and see if anything relevant shows up.

Reactions: peaman69

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
If it didn't work on a previous OS and doesn't work on Mojave, and if you've exhausted other options, you could do a backup to Time Machine, then do a clean install, then encrypt, then restore your user settings and data using Migration Assistant.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Hello All,

I need to encrypt my 2015 MacBook Pro to/at (?) 256 AES and hoped to used FileVault to do so. When clicking the "Turn On FileVault..." button, absolutely nothing happens. I have followed the instructions on https://www.macworld.com/article/3313592/macs/when-filevault-won-t-turn-on.html which seems to confirm that there are no other fixes currently in-place for this, that they are aware of.

I had originally tried this with the previous OS without success, before updating to Mojave hoping this would solve the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Or found a solution?

Alternatively, could someone be so kind as to recommend another solution for me to encrypt to/at 256 AES? This is completely new to me, so any links with step-by-step guides or very simple explanations would be really appreciated.

Many thanks
Check if you have a recovery partition. Sometimes encryption doesn't work without it

peaman69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
Honestly no idea why it wouldn't work but you could try opening Console.app and looking at the logs and the system.log while you press the button and see if anything relevant shows up.

I have done as suggested, and the following fault comes up in the console.app:
"Client <private> lacks a bundle ID".

It then goes on to say:
"Remote account store returned error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099" The connection to service named com.apple.accountsd.accountmanager was invalidated." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named com.apple.accountsd.accountmanager was invalidated.}"

Then followed by:
"Nil account cannot possibly have a password-reset-token token!"

I'm not sure what this could mean, does anyone else or could anyone point me in the direction?
[doublepost=1542220910][/doublepost]
You're running Mojave, right?

Yes, that's correct.

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
I have done as suggested, and the following fault comes up in the console.app:
"Client <private> lacks a bundle ID".

It then goes on to say:
"Remote account store returned error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099" The connection to service named com.apple.accountsd.accountmanager was invalidated." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named com.apple.accountsd.accountmanager was invalidated.}"

This appears to be a problem with Keychain Access. You can make a backup by copying your ~/Library/Keychains directory to your Desktop. Open Keychain Access and select Preferences. From here you can reset your Keychain login. Restart your computer afterwards.

peaman69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
This appears to be a problem with Keychain Access. You can make a backup by copying your ~/Library/Keychains directory to your Desktop. Open Keychain Access and select Preferences. From here you can reset your Keychain login. Restart your computer afterwards.

Thanks, I will try that :)

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
I realize this is an older thread, but am experiencing the same issue. I get the Secure Token DISABLED on Terminal. Disk Utility shows no issue (I recently replaced the SSD and performed a clean install then a migration of previous account).

Did OP ever resolve this issue?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I realize this is an older thread, but am experiencing the same issue. I get the Secure Token DISABLED on Terminal. Disk Utility shows no issue (I recently replaced the SSD and performed a clean install then a migration of previous account).

Did OP ever resolve this issue?

How did you migrate your previous account? Migration Assistant? Did you try the suggestion in post #9 (although you'll lose whatever item's you've added)?

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
How did you migrate your previous account? Migration Assistant? Did you try the suggestion in post #9 (although you'll lose whatever item's you've added)?

Migration Assistant.

Don't want to resort to #9 because that also wipes out my KeyChain data for ALL my OS X machines and iOS devices, and certainly want to avoid doing a drive wipe and clean install, but that would be the least destructive and disruptive in terms of impact to my collective devices.

Hoping the OP could shed light on his final resolution that could also be applicable in my case if it's not destructive in the contexts mentioned above.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Migration Assistant.

Don't want to resort to #9 because that also wipes out my KeyChain data for ALL my OS X machines and iOS devices, and certainly want to avoid doing a drive wipe and clean install, but that would be the least destructive and disruptive in terms of impact to my collective devices.

Hoping the OP could shed light on his final resolution that could also be applicable in my case if it's not destructive in the contexts mentioned above.

The OP posted and participated in it and then left. They may get notification of new posts in this thread and return.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
Didn't want to wait anymore not knowing if the OP would ever respond, so I took option B: full backup, wiped, clean install, activate FileVault, Migrate.

All good now with peace of mind my laptop is fully secured if it is ever lost...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.