Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChase

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Orlando, FL
Hello all!

I've been experiencing a hard crash resulting from using the FilmConvert plugin in FCPX and I'm pretty sure it's related to the NVIDIA Web Driver and my GTX 980.

When I drop the effect on the footage in the timeline for the first time, it loads, then the computer starts pinwheeling. Once that happens, there's no recovering it. I have to hold the power button and force the machine to restart.

Once I reboot I can reopen FCPX and see that FilmConvert is still applied to my footage. However the FilmConvert OSC is nowhere to be found. Also, if I click on the title of the instance of FilmConvert in the inspector, my computer locks right up again.

When I boot up I can see what caused the crash in Console. The message, "GPU driver appears to be hung" appears over and over. So apparently FilmConvert is not agreeing well with the NVIDIA Web Driver or possibly Maxwell cards.

If I use Premiere CC I can use FilmConvert just fine and things speed right along.

I'm using an eight core 2009 Mac Pro on 10.11.6 with the newest FCPX and FilmConvert.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
SCSC is correct. From what little I understand, a bunch of Nvidia web driver bugs in pro apps have showed up in El Capitan. Adobe says it is due to the Metal rendering engine (I know you aren't talking about Adobe software, but the problem is the same). I'd move back to Yosemite in the mean time as a work around, but that also means you'll lose the speed gained by Metal, which is substantial in FCPx.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
SCSC is correct. From what little I understand, a bunch of Nvidia web driver bugs in pro apps have showed up in El Capitan. Adobe says it is due to the Metal rendering engine (I know you aren't talking about Adobe software, but the problem is the same). I'd move back to Yosemite in the mean time as a work around, but that also means you'll lose the speed gained by Metal, which is substantial in FCPx.

Also due to poor OpenCL driver by Nvidia. But I hear it is a pain for any developer to get help from Apple on that because even OpenCL isn't progressing on Mac anymore.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Also due to poor OpenCL driver by Nvidia. But I hear it is a pain for any developer to get help from Apple on that because even OpenCL isn't progressing on Mac anymore.

That would explain the OpenCL issues I have with newly installed OS X El Capitan.

Luxmark 3 (Windows) no problems| Luxmark 3 OS X El Capitan OpenCL not good:
Luxmark Ball Titan X (Windows).PNG Luxmark 3 Ball Titan X.png

Luxmark 2.1 however on El Capitan no problems:
Luxmark Ball Titan X.png

Is Luxmark 3 using a new OpenCL instruction set?

Edit: I did some tests in Final Cut Pro, no problems appeared. Now then could be a bug in Luxmark 3.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
That would explain the OpenCL issues I have with newly installed OS X El Capitan.

Luxmark 3 (Windows) no problems| Luxmark 3 OS X El Capitan Open CL not good:
View attachment 659843 View attachment 659844

Luxmark 2.1 however on El Capitan no problems:
View attachment 659845

Is Luxmark 3 using a new OpenCL instruction set?

Edit: I did some tests in Final Cut Pro, no problems appeared. Now then could be a bug in Luxmark 3.

The CL bugs are seen more in stability and calculation errors than in rendering performance times.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Have you tried the 10.12 driver? I just ran it without any problems on my GeForce TITAN X (i.e. no pixel errors or anything like that).

I'm currently using 10.11.6.

You're right. Using OS X 10.12 Luxmark 3 is working without any problems (only 0.09% different pixels, wow). And even faster:

apic.png

I will migrate when CUDA driver and Sierra 10.12.1 are released.

Last edited:

Jaho101

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
My 980 also has some huge FCP X Filmconvert problems. Started in Yosemite, continue in El Cap. It works on ProRes footage, and crashes on RED raw footage. Haven't found a fix.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah good example!

It's almost like they fixed the bugs in the 10.12 web driver or something like that. Maybe they were busy with the 10.12 release in general as well, who knows. I guess we can just keep talking **** without actually looking at the progress NVIDIA is making with each release.

Reactions: Synchro3

iChase

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Orlando, FL
It's unbelievably frustrating how little Apple maintains their graphics drivers. Every update is a roll of the dice as to whether or not I'll have something vital break. It sounds like my best bet is updating to Sierra. But therein lies the kicker, I can't update my 2009 MP to Sierra, thanks again Apple!

Is the 4,1 to 5,1 firmware flash safe?

My 980 also has some huge FCP X Filmconvert problems. Started in Yosemite, continue in El Cap. It works on ProRes footage, and crashes on RED raw footage. Haven't found a fix.

What's strange is, I'm having the crashes happening on ProRes footage too. It's good to hear someone else out there is having this problem. I mean it sucks, but at least it's not a one-off case. I emailed FilmConvert's tech support and they're acting like it's an unheard of problem and they're basically saying there's nothing they can do.

I've been trying to pull a crash log for FCPX to send to them, but I can't find one as it seems the graphics driver crashes first and FCPX doesn't technically crash. The best I have is Console.

EDIT: Meanwhile, I've seen Apple has some job postings for software engineers for NVIDIA driver development. A good sign of things to come?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
It's unbelievably frustrating how little Apple maintains their graphics drivers. Every update is a roll of the dice as to whether or not I'll have something vital break. It sounds like my best bet is updating to Sierra.

Your best bet is rolling back to Yosemite. There were less bugs (but not perfect) in the web drivers then.

And please note, these drivers only ever had beta support for Maxwell. It's not fair to finger Nvidia on their lack of commitment. But you should note how people on this and other forums were promoting the use of Maxwell cards to professionals and they made money from this very irresponsible behaviour. Any attempt to fact check them was met with hostility.

The job posting is old news. They post it every few months and the drivers keep getting worse.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Is the 4,1 to 5,1 firmware flash safe?

Yes, it's save to flash Mac Pro 4,1 to 5,1. If it doesn't work nothing happens, Mac Pro is just still on firmware 4,1

Known pitfalls:
- EFI-card needed
- Disable SIP before the upgrade
- The upgrade is easier if processing from an old OS X (I did it then in OS X 10.6.8)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.