Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
When I'm trying to playback a clip in the sequence viewer how do I get rid of the blue Unrendered screen without having to actually render it? Can I do that? I tried changing the options on the RT (real time) dropdown menu and reading the manual, but I sstill dont know how to make it go away. I like to watch my video as I edit it without actually having to render the whole thing.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
You will have to render unless you have a very fast computer. My comp (see below) still needs to render with some effects, although if the effect is not huge than playback can still occur.

Rendering sucks no doubt but its just something that has to be done. :(

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
well, its not just a matter if you have a fast computer or not. If you apply filters or effects to the track you'll have to render it. And I've used some non standard resolutions for web exporting and you have to do it all the time - even if I've rendered the animation I'm working on at the same resolution.

D

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Mr. Anderson said:
well, its not just a matter if you have a fast computer or not. If you apply filters or effects to the track you'll have to render it. And I've used some non standard resolutions for web exporting and you have to do it all the time - even if I've rendered the animation I'm working on at the same resolution.

D

If you have your capture settings exactly the same as your sequence settings, then you won't have to render to view, but any deviation from DV will need to be rendered first. If you're importing QT or other clips it'll need rendering.

Basically FCP moves everything into DV mode (or DVCHD, DVpro etc.) depending on your input device, and if the sequence is set deifferently it'll need to be rendered.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i'm pretty sure that you can press option (or control?) p and play back unrendered footage with its effects and such, however it won't be full speed of course... not on my home computer so i can't test it, but i believe that may work. not sure if that's helpful to you or not, but worth a shot

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
but any deviation from DV will need to be rendered first. If you're importing QT or other clips it'll need rendering.

oh ok...that might be it then...im importing ripped dvd footage...thanks

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
i'm pretty sure that you can press option (or control?) p and play back unrendered footage with its effects and such, however it won't be full speed of course

you know I just tried this and it worked for playback, but I cant hear any sound on the clip...just the video...is there a way to hear the sound with it without rendering it?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
jayeskreezy said:
you know I just tried this and it worked for playback, but I cant hear any sound on the clip...just the video...is there a way to hear the sound with it without rendering it?

i'm not sure... that might be trickier just cause it'd be slowed audio... ie, less than your 29.97 (or whatever frame rate) the actual project is. i guess try looking around for preferences regarding the audio playback if hearing the slowed audio with slow video is acceptable to you...

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
jayeskreezy said:

Again it depends on the settings, if the clip audio is that same as the sequence audio you'll not need to render, however, audio rendering takes a fraction of the time video rendering takes, I usually just suck it down and let the machine convert it.

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
ripped dvd clips eh?

hmm.. i dunno if this would work or not, or whether you'd have the time to do it (it could be time intensive and not worth the effort) but you might wanna try maybe exporting your clips as quicktime with options set at None for compression and best for everything else.. then using that footage instead of your original rips.

like i said, i dunno if that'll solve your problem. maybe do a test clip and see. *shrugs*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.