Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iris_failsafe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I have FPC, I use to run it under Jaguar on my G4 and it ran fine. I switched to Panther and now I doesn't run well. It can't capture because it always drops frames, and the playback is impossible. System update upgraded it to 4.5. I thought it was memory so I added 1Gb of RAM but it still happens. I only edit standard DV.

here are my comp specs
G4 868 MHz, 1,12Gb Ram, 60GB Hd with 16Gb free. Nvidia geforce MX2 32mb

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
are you using the system disk to captue on or a second drive, If you only have a drive you should get a FW drive or a second internal drive in your machine for the media.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
That system should not have problems with capturing or playing back SD footage.

My first question would be if you have anything else running that may be eating up CPU cycles. Open activity monitor and try to find out of anything is using resources that you're not aware of.

Dropped frames in capture can be caused by bad media (tape problems) but it doesn't sound like thats the issue since you said playback is bad as well.

Some people have reported performance issues with the latest Quicktime updates. Go to Apple's support site and they have downloads that will revert back to Quicktime 7.0.3 and 7.0.2. You may want to try that to see if it helps.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
16 gb's free, that solves it...(You need A LOT more space than that)

In the first place, you should NEVER use your internal drive to capture video (ESPECIALLY ON A LAPTOP)

Free up some space then report back...

If that does NOT work, do a COMPLETE fresh install, erase everything and just install panther and final cut 4.5.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
16 gb's free, that solves it...(You need A LOT more space than that)

In the first place, you should NEVER use your internal drive to capture video (ESPECIALLY ON A LAPTOP)

Free up some space then report back...

If that does NOT work, do a COMPLETE fresh install, erase everything and just install panther and final cut 4.5.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
What everyone is saying about free space on your hard is 100% correct but somehow I dont think it's the core of your problem.

This may sound stupid but check if your timeline frame rate matches the footage frame rate, and the same goes for the capture. And you should really try trashing your prefs and repair permissions before you go and do a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.