Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SittingBull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Europe
Hello world, am I the only one with this problem?

I just purchased and installed Tiger 10.4.3. (Yes, I'm an idiot.)

Well, Final Cut Express 2.0.3 -- which ran so well with Panther -- is now useless with Tiger. I also just downloaded and installed the Tiger 10.4.4 update; Apple says this update woud fix some Firewire problems. But it didn't fix my Firewire problems.

I connected a Canon XLS1 camera to my G5 Dual 2MHz: The Mac's System Info detects it as XLS1.

I also connected a Panasonic NV DV-2000 player/recorder to the same G5: The Mac's System Info detects it as an "unknown device" though, but it detects it. This device worked always well with the old Panther.

Anyway, neither the Canon nor the Panasonic gets access to Final Cut. Only the Mac's System Info detects them.

Ok, now I have a few widget toys and a few other cosmetic things for 130 Euro, but no Final Cut anymore. Heck, I bought this Mac to work with Final Cut.

If this problem cannot be fixed, I'll return to Panther and want my money back. There was no warning that Tiger wouldn't run with Final Cut Express. I can't believe that I am the only one on earth who works with the above devices and versions.

Thank you for your attention! Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
S.B.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
It's fairly common knowledge that only FCP 5 and Tiger play nice together while FCP 4.5 and below plays nice w/Panther and below. Before you do a major OS update you should inquire about any possible incompatibilities between your current apps and the OS you are wanting to upgrade to. Especially if you need to use a specific app.

Lethal

EDIT: That being said, if you can you should really upgrade to a newer version of FCP. There have been a number of huge improvements sense version 2.

SittingBull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Europe
I have no HD camera and no HD TV. So why should I buy an HD software?

And if the HD version CAN (can it?) get the Firewire to work, why cannot the previous Express version get it to work? My devices haven't changed. Do I need to buy new hardware, too?

Has B. Gates taken over Apple, or what's going on here?

SittingBull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Europe
LethalWolfe said:
Ugh. Nice reading comprehension skills I got there...

I'm not familair w/Express so all I can suggest is heading over here,
apple discussion boards, and see if anyone else has the same problem.

Lethal

Thank you for the link. I just read there that the "Express HD" version lost the Firewire, too. It seemed like a problem with Quicktime, but I just tried the trick mentioned there and it didn't help me either. I'm not convinced ...

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
SittingBull said:
Thank you for the link. I just read there that the "Express HD" version lost the Firewire, too. It seemed like a problem with Quicktime, but I just tried the trick mentioned there and it didn't help me either. I'm not convinced ...

Lost firewire? I have a Canon XL1 a Canon ZR60 and a Sony DV Deck, all of them work with no issues for me, and they are all via firewire.

I use Final Cut Express HD (version 3)

Ed

PharmD

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2005
Oregon Coast
I think what he means is that the firewire connection is buggy after 10.4.4. I've noticed that FCE HD doesn't always recognize my devices over FW. I usually have to restart FC and stuff in order to get it to do so.

SittingBull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Europe
Heureka, here's the solution, indeed:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301852

I can tell you why it confused me yesterday: I tried a similar trick before: As described by Apple, I deleted in "library/receipts" all quicktime PKG files with a version number in the file name. I also (not instructed by Apple) deleted my 7.0.4 quicktime application in the "applications" folder. Then I re-executed PKG of quicktime 7.0.4 (this PKG was already on my harddisk, so I thought I don't need to re-download 7.0.4). The installation programme started. Shortly before the end it terminated: "Installation not successful."

Today I did it exactly as described in the article linked above. In other words, after the deletion of the existing PKG files, I didn't re-execute that 7.0.4 PKG which was already on my hard disk, but I re-downloaded that same file from apple. (Also, this time I didn't delete the 7.0.4 Quicktime APP in the "applications" folder). The downloaded file and the included installation program looked exactly like what I already had on my disk. But for some reason it did the trick. Very bizarre. Perhaps it's a matter of the right sequence of the various installations.

Yesterday I was really disappointed. Now I'm happy again. I hope it stays stable.

And for the next five years I will follow again my old motto: "Never update a well working system!"

Thank you for your help!

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.