Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fearless22

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
Now that LumaFusion has announced availability for Android is coming before summer, which would match perfectly with WWDC's, is there any chance Apple finally brings Final Cut to iPadOS? And if so which hardware requirements are likely to be set for "compatibility"?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
To be technical… LumaFusion is coming to Galaxy Store, which I believe Samsung is paying handsomely for. At least that’s what it has been announced and I think there will be hardware requirement to run LumaFusion on Galaxy devices.

But in regards to Final Cut to iPadOS, no one here has an answer for that. I don’t understand the correlation between LumaFusion coming to Android and Final Cut coming to iPadOS. I honestly don’t see Final Cut coming to iPadOS given Apple has iMovie for iOS/iPadOS.

And Apple seems confident in advertising for LumaFusion on the iPad that they don’t see the need to bring Final Cut to iPadOS.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
To be technical… LumaFusion is coming to Galaxy Store, which I believe Samsung is paying handsomely for. At least that’s what it has been announced and I think there will be hardware requirement to run LumaFusion on Galaxy devices.

But in regards to Final Cut to iPadOS, no one here has an answer for that. I don’t understand the correlation between LumaFusion coming to Android and Final Cut coming to iPadOS. I honestly don’t see Final Cut coming to iPadOS given Apple has iMovie for iOS/iPadOS.

And Apple seems confident in advertising for LumaFusion on the iPad that they don’t see the need to bring Final Cut to iPadOS.

Yep. LumaFusion has played prominently in Apple's advertising and rollout - I don't see them competing with Final Cut on iPadOS.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
I would be very surprised if Apple brought its MacOS professional apps to iPadOS.

The technical challenge is designing a new touch interface. Apple might feel that they simply would not get a sufficient financial return for the investment of time/labour, with the risk of confusing the marketplace between MacOS and iPadOS.

A lot of the online ‘buzz’ around iPads running M1 led to ‘pro app mania’ in June 2021, where YouTubers demanded/expected ports of MacOS software to iPadOS, ending up an epic tantrum. Then Autumn 2021, M1 Pro and M1 Max MBPs arrive and then onto the next shiny thing.

Reactions: VaruLV

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The hype surrounding the M1 chip on iPad defiantly stirred the pot for pro apps coming. Especially for the fact that we can buy the iPad with 16GB of RAM + 2TB.

Personally, with Lumafusion reigning king, even if Apple did launch FCP X, I could care less.

Also Lumafusion is coming to the Play Store as confirmed by the company on Twitter.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I absolutely think it’s a sign of Final Cut X coming for the iPad Pro. The same thing happened with LunaDisplay, when Astropad announced they were working on a Windows version… 2 months later, Apple announced Sidecar, which completely destroyed LunaDisplay on Mac. Obviously, the developer knew what was coming, and had to diversify before being wiped out.

Also, there is no question IMO that pro apps are coming to the iPad Pro, because Apple needs a reason for people to shell out for the Pro. As it is now, the regular iPad can do just about everything the Pro can, including drawing, which was previously a huge exclusive to the Pro.

My bet is Apple releases FCPX for ONLY the Pro model, and probably only compatible with the last gen of the Pro… as well as, of course, the shiny new Pro they roll out simultaneously. ;)

Reactions: dalestrauss

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
It might need an M1 or better in order to run smoothly.

iMovie is then the alternative more basic option

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
No I very much doubt it will happen anytime soon, pro apps are one of the main selling points of the mac over the iPad.

Could apple make stripped down versions of pro apps for iPad, probably, but unlikely as I think Apple feels that GarageBand and iMovie fill that void for the majority.

The hype around M1 was and always will be marketing misdirection by Apple, they lead us to believe that they put a Mac chip in an iPad, but essentially what they actually did was put an iPad chip in a Mac rebranded it M1 and then subsequently put that chip back into the iPad.

Maybe one day Apple might unleash the power of the iPad but I certainly wouldn’t hold my breath for it.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
As I have said in other threads, it's not impossible but seems unlikely. If it happens, it will be subscription only (à la Office 365) and I also wonder if it is going to be fully featured or not. I don't think FCP will push iPad (pro) sales that much or at best it will just move some people from Macs to iPads, with very little net gains.
Instead, given how much Lumafusion is improving, I think it can become the main app for many video editors in time. And at the price it's sold, it's a bargain (and it works on M1 Macs too by the way)

MacPioneer

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
The pro app I was looking for was Xcode. Didn’t happen, but they said that Playgrounds would be able to build apps for the App Store. Close enough, maybe.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
there is no question IMO that pro apps are coming to the iPad Pro, because Apple needs a reason for people to shell out for the Pro
I wish I could believe this! People have been saying a new generation of Apple pro apps is imminent for years now, but where are they?

Seriously, when was the last time Apple made a new app (especially a creative one) that really made people stop and reconsider what could be done on the iPad? I kinda think you have to go all the way back to Garageband and iMovie, which are a loooong time ago now. Plenty of innovation in the OS itself, plenty of third-party innovation, but Apple seems to have completely checked out of the business of first-party apps. Even apps like Pages and Keynote have been limited to minor tweaks and maintenance updates.

There seems to be a (not unreasonable) assumption that because we now have iPad Pros, new first party software will surely follow. Yet the Pros aren't new anymore - the first one came out in almost 7 years ago, and even the landmark super overpowered 2018s have been around ages.

I think if Apple was going to do Final Cut (or Logic Pro, or something else) they would have done it by now. I would love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

dalestrauss

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Midland, TX
As much as I have tried to champion MacOS on a docked iPad Pro, or at least "Pro level apps," as long as Tim and company feel they can make TWO sales instead of one, iPad Pro will be nothing more than a glorified iPad Air with a better screen and more memory (RAM and SSD - BOTH of which are also big overpriced options for the Apple money printing press).

Reactions: GuruZac and VaruLV

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
As much as I have tried to champion MacOS on a docked iPad Pro, or at least "Pro level apps," as long as Tim and company feel they can make TWO sales instead of one, iPad Pro will be nothing more than a glorified iPad Air with a better screen and more memory (RAM and SSD - BOTH of which are also big overpriced options for the Apple money printing press).
Kind of true, sad, but true.
Two only valid reasons why I got 12.9 M1 Pro was because I wanted bigger screen than my outgoing 10.5 Pro of the time and 8GB of RAM.
Everything else was a nice bonus, one of which, 5G, was something that I didnt even want nor "require" but bought one with it anyway because it was the only available for immediate delivery after months of waiting, reordering, waiting, cancelling, reordering again different spec'd iPP and then cancelling again just to finally get one for myself that was available in stock :D

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

Even this strategy is running out of gas I feel. For instance, I have a 2021 iPP 12.9”. Realistically, I can’t see Apple adding anything that would make me upgrade before the device is on the vintage products list.

Large screen? Check
High quality display? Check
Lots of storage? Check
USB-C? Check
5G? Check

By holding iPadOS back on it they’ve turned the IPP into a laptop upgrade cycle device where you only need to upgrade once a decade. If that. It will make sales of it very challenging as I can’t imagine there is a very large market for $2K iPads.

If they had rapid software features being added to pull in new apps and new paradigms. That would help to make newer hardware much more valuable. Enticing an upgrade.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
With sidecar, universal control and the IPad Pro having the hardware there really is no reason why Apple cannot port a version to Ipad OS. It may not be full version but none the less it can be done.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

dalestrauss

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Midland, TX
By holding iPadOS back on it they’ve turned the IPP into a laptop upgrade cycle device where you only need to upgrade once a decade. If that. It will make sales of it very challenging as I can’t imagine there is a very large market for $2K iPads.

If they had rapid software features being added to pull in new apps and new paradigms. That would help to make newer hardware much more valuable. Enticing an upgrade.
Nice try, but that (reverse psychology) is not going to entice them to change their position either - this is right up there with Jobs' "You're holding it wrong!" stance - iPad and Pro apps are a line they won't cross...

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Nice try, but that (reverse psychology) is not going to entice them to change their position either - this is right up there with Jobs' "You're holding it wrong!" stance - iPad and Pro apps are a line they won't cross...
That’s not what he said. And this isn’t anywhere near the same situation. But also, you’re right. Nothing said on this website decides Apple’s roadmap.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Final Cut on iOS would be nice but it’s unlikely. I’d be happy with a better version of iMovie. A sort of Final Cut Lite on iOS.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.