Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I just bought my G5, and I planned on doing some small video projects for my European automotive enthusiast group.

I have been working a little in iMovie, but it seems to have more limitations then my old 68k based Strata Video Shop. Granted the transitions are smoother, and such with iMovie, but I was wondering if I really need Final Cut, and what "class" people would recommend.

I only plan on doing 15 minute videos set to music to show cars driving, BBQs, Track racing and such.

Thanks for any assistance!!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I use FCP and in most cases for me (editing movies and animations) there is a lot more than I'll ever need. However, I've also had to help someone work on an iMovie project and it was painful coming from a FCP perspective.

If you plan on editing movies on a regular basis, get the FCP Express - it will allow you multiple tracks and better work flow. You'll be happy you bought it.

D

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Thanks for the reply.

Is that a limit of how many clips (total per movie) or how many can run simultaneously in sync?

I anticipate having over 100 clips and many pictures per video (fast paced electronic music) and having a clip limit would be bad. I haven't run into that with iMovie, but it is frustrating using that software, and I am actually running Strata again, but on my G3.

Thanks again,

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I wasn't talking about clips - you can have as many as you can manage - its tracks that are important. iMovie has one, everything has to go in the same track.

Take a look at the screen shots for FCP and FCP Express and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

D

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Mr. Anderson said:
I wasn't talking about clips - you can have as many as you can manage - its tracks that are important. iMovie has one, everything has to go in the same track.

Take a look at the screen shots for FCP and FCP Express and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

D

Thanks,

I understand from your explanation.. Strata Video shop also lets you have multiple Video and Audio tracks. Looks like Final Cut is the modern equivalent of that software.

Thanks again

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
840quadra said:
Thanks,

Strata Video shop also lets you have multiple Video and Audio tracks. Looks like Final Cut is the modern equivalent of that software.

Thanks again

Final Cut Express HD allows for 99 audio and 99 video tracks.

peace | neut

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
neut said:
Final Cut Express HD allows for 99 audio and 99 video tracks.

peace | neut

Thanks for the detail. I think I will be buying a copy when I go to the Tiger event on Friday night!

Thanks everyone for the replies!!

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
for what ur doing express is plenty, besides u can overlay clips in imovie and express. You defintely do not need 99 audio and video, save your money get xpress or overlay in imovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.