Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
I have a friend that needs a project I edited in Final Cut Pro 5, but he only has Final Cut Pro 4. It's an old project, so the raw media will already have to be recaptured, all I need is for him to have a list of where the clips from (we have about 30 tapes of raw footage).

Is there an easy way to do this??

Thanks!!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
You could try outputting an EDL. But depending on the complexity of the project (if there are a lot of video tracks and lots of transitions and such) it may not work so well.

Lethal

bogiesan

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2001
LethalWolfe said:
You could try outputting an EDL. But depending on the complexity of the project (if there are a lot of video tracks and lots of transitions and such) it may not work so well.
Lethal

Another attempt can be made via XML but i cannot recall if FCP4 had the capability, it might not have shown up till 4.5. which begs the question, 4.5 was free update, why didn't he do it.

In the big scheme of things, if you are going to be working together, forcing him to buy the upgrade to FCP5 or FCS is going to pay for itself in about a month of all of your wasted time trying to make what should be a simple thing work.

bogiesan

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
bogiesan said:
Another attempt can be made via XML but i cannot recall if FCP4 had the capability, it might not have shown up till 4.5. which begs the question, 4.5 was free update, why didn't he do it.

In the big scheme of things, if you are going to be working together, forcing him to buy the upgrade to FCP5 or FCS is going to pay for itself in about a month of all of your wasted time trying to make what should be a simple thing work.

bogiesan

XML is a very effective choice... but only to go to FCP4.5 [FCP HD]. I have definitely had good luck with it, tho i have noticed that audio effects and dissolves translate strangely in some cases. And any variable speed effects will not transfer at all from 5 to 4.5, as 4.5 does not have native variable speed effects. Otherwise, I've found it to be quite efficient for simple projects, and decent for more complicated projects.

Also, note that 4.5 only inports Type 1 xml files, so you MUST export a type1 file from FCP5 - Go "File>Export>XML," then select "type 1." [sorry if this isn't exact, I'm recalling this from memory] Should work.

If 4.0 is your only option, an EDL may be your only choice. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.