Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.Dave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Near Seattle
I am trying to create a new project/sequence/ from an old one by selecting and copying clips from the old sequence to a new one. I get varying degrees of success. Some of the newly copied clips are just like old ones as one would expect. However, some are distorted aspect ratio-wise, and some are just magnified so that part of the frame is missing.

Anyone have an idea of what is going on, or better, how to fix it?

Cheers,
Dave
OriginalFrame.png
CopiedFrame.png

Last edited:

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I don't think the effects, like resize or zoom, get copied when you cut and paste. I've always had to reapply the effects, but that may just be me.
You can save the original settings and then reapply them with one step, if that helps.

D.Dave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Near Seattle
I don't think the effects, like resize or zoom, get copied when you cut and paste. I've always had to reapply the effects, but that may just be me.
You can save the original settings and then reapply them with one step, if that helps.
The only "effect" I have applied is crop, and that has been applied to all of them. Don't know why I would get effects I didn't use. Only some of my copies are corrupted. The rest have copied with no modification. Really puzzling.

D.Dave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Near Seattle
Followup to the above problem: This time I copied the entire original sequence, then removed all the parts not need for my intended new video. The result is that when I export and select Quicktime movie, the resulting video is blank (black screen). Anyone have an idea what is happening?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
One or another of the clips or transitions has an issue. Dunno what the corruption is but FCP doesn't like it. Perhaps a gap in the timeline. When I see this, sometimes I can divide and concor by finding the errant clip/transistion but usually end up starting over from the beginning. I locate the original media files and start from there instead of trying to copy an already edited sequence.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
The best bet for any sort of success with 7 is to either duplicate the sequence and re-edit, or create a new sequence, when you insert or overwrite the 1st video clip into the new sequence, the answer in blue to the question hit YES..You want the sequence to match the media... not the media to match the timeline...world of hurt with option 2...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.