Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebfrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Aptos, CA
Howdy all! I have a MacStudio with a 4TB Thunderbolt 3 Bus-Powered NVMe M.2 SSD from OWC attached. It has a 512GB internal disk which I use only for the OS, everything else including ~home is on the 4TB SSD - including my Final Cut libraries. When I'm editing video in Final Cut, the beach ball comes up all the time when I jump forward or backward on the timeline - for like 2-4 seconds. Super annoying.

The Black Magic Disk Speed Test shows the internal drive smokes along @ 4,500/5,500 MB/s W/R. The external TB3 SSD is more like 800/1400 W/R.

The Black Magic app says that it should be fine for ProRes 422 HQ - and I'm editing in just plain ol' ProRes, and I get this annoying beach ball.
The same project on my 14" MacBook Pro (2TB internal drive) is just buttery smooth and amazing.

Any idea what the issue could be? I do have another USB-C SSD on the MacStudio - it's connected, but I don't keep any user files on there.

Thanks!

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I'm having the same issue with FCP but my setup is a Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD, inside a Sabret USB C M.2 enclosure, and I have this enclosure plugged into my Apple Studio Display.

I feel that I bought the fastest stuff I could buy because I didn't want any issues....did I purchase the wrong stuff? Or is my limitation the ASD's USB-C ports?

Reactions: sebfrey

sebfrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Aptos, CA
I'm having the same issue with FCP but my setup is a Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD, inside a Sabret USB C M.2 enclosure, and I have this enclosure plugged into my Apple Studio Display.

I feel that I bought the fastest stuff I could buy because I didn't want any issues....did I purchase the wrong stuff? Or is my limitation the ASD's USB-C ports?
Interested to know what the Black Magic speed test says is your USB-C drive speed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.