Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Classic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
I just noticed that Phil Schiller is giving a keynote at the DV Expo in Los angeles on December 4. Anybody have any insight as to where Final Cut Pro for OSX is? Or DVD Studio Pro for OSX?

I wonder if this keynote will coincide with any software announcements.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
soon...aka later.

I was told that we should expect it in the fall this past summer, but you know how that goes.
I haven't heard any buzz on the DV sites, so I don't expect it to be ready for release in the next few weeks.
It would be nice to see it soon if it works well and is stable...that'll be reason enough for me to go OSX.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
I am also eagerly awaiting this. I currently am using FCP 1.24. I held off buying FCP 2 becuase I didn't want to turn around a couple of months later and have to upgrade to FCP X.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
I've been hearing a little more buzz about this inthe past week. FCP for OSX is now expected, but some people have been claiming that Apple has something else up their sleeve, although nobody has been saying what it is. DVDSP2 has been mentioned, but I've heard at least one person who claims to know say it's more than just a software update...hmmm.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
From http://www.thinksecret.com

Final Cut Pro for Mac OS X: More Details Surface
By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief

Earlier in the week, we noted the forthcoming Mac OS X-compatible release of Apple's Final Cut Pro, rumored to be in the immediate pipeline. Since that time, new information has been made available.

While Apple originally planned to ship the new software at DV Expo next month, debugging hold-ups have reportedly delayed the release by two weeks. One source did not rule out a demonstration of Final Cut Pro for OS X at DV Expo, however, even if it isn't shipping until later. "Final Cut Pro is running -- and running very well -- on OS X as we speak," he said.

In our previous report, we said that the new version will include dramatically faster rendering. Rumors both outside and inside Final Cut Pro circles go into even greater detail, with multiple tipsters asserting that the rendering capabilities of Final Cut Pro for Mac OS X will make hardware-based RT (real-time rendering) cards useless, offering strong real-time rendering functionality in the software. "It will be unreal," one informant said. More specific details on this point -- such as the role that dual-processing may play -- are unknown at the moment. Whether this rumor is true or not, its abundance bears note.Relating to this, two sources pointed out that Promax recently dropped its RT card project, despite the fact that the RTMax cost the company a significant amount of money to develop.

Finally, Final Cut Pro is said to inherit many, many benefits from running on Mac OS X, including in multi-tasking.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
my guess on that...one more thing that Shiller might mention

iPod will be able to record dirrectly from DV cameras then you can take that footage to your computer and edit the footage without downloading it to your computer. Do it right in the iPod. Unlug the iPod move to a new computer and go at it again. Plug back into the DV cam and record it to tape.

just a thought.

Classic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
Hmmmmm

Buggy,

I wonder about that. 5GB isn't really all that much space when it comes to video. However, there aren't really any true firewire external firewire hard drives out there. Maybe they will release a true 80GB firewire hard drive at DVExpo...

It's my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that external firewire drives you can buy today are just internal ATA drives in a firewire case.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
Yep, they're just IDE drives, and for video most of them stink. 5400rpm? Nope, not fast enough.
The only external drives that work well enough to be considered for regular DV use have the Oxford 911 chipset like Granite Digital.
The nice thing about IDE drives are that they are cheap, this is one of the reasons why people can afford to get into video editing now. Used to be any kind of non linear editing required very fast and very expensive SCSI arrays. non compressed video takes a huge amount of space, so even more money. DV is cheap, convenient, and very good quality for what it is.
If someone does make a specific firewire drive that doesn't use IDE's in an enclosure it won't be worthwile unless it's cheap and very fast, otherwise you can just get SCSI.

ronnyb7

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2001
using iPod instead of tape

Yeah, 5 Gb isn't nearly enough for dv; it's the equivalent of roughly 25 min of footage; you can get an external 100Gb firewire drive with the Oxford 911 bridge for about $350, so the iPod is really not cost effective either. However, you'd need to get a box (which I know exists but can't recall it's name) that let's you record directly to a hard drive and tape simultaneously. You can then plug in the HD and store away the tapes as back ups. The box will even create new quicktime files on the hard drive each time you press the start/stop button on your dv camera.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
now with that offline editing feature. The iPod drive doesn't look that small anymore.

Maybe not for a camera...but definately possible for editting on more thanone computer and more than one location.

Have work must travel.

richvideo

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2001
VST Full Height

There are no TRUE firewire devices... great interview with on this months Mac Addict disc with the IEE1394 advisory board chair..

But both VSt and LaCie make very good 7200 rpm drives that are rock solid...

I have a VSt 75 gb and a 45 gb

-rich

forgiven

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2001
what'[s the diffence?

what's the difference in editing in DV format and editing Offline RT format..I am wondering because Apple has a $500 diffence in their 550 and 667 mhz (they require 667 for Real time in DV format...i'd probably buy a 550 now, but what would be the downside?)

bunge

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2001
Offline RT is just DV further compressed by an MJPEG codec. It's 360 X 240 (quarter size or something like that). I haven't seen the results of DV footage that's compressed as Offline RT and then back to DV so I can't vouch for the quality.

But because the format is so much smaller, the realtime effects work on a slower machine. My guess is that the TiBook 667 can barely do realtime effects with DV anyway so the slower TiBook is probably not much different.

richvideo

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2001
can't convert back and forth

You can't down convert to media and then back.

Pixel or raster data is lossy, once compressed, you lose it.

My understanding

1. Digitize lo-res
2. Edit
3. Re Digitize at hi-res

My wishes... Digitize at high-rez on my tower... Plug the powerbook in at target disk mode and convert down to lo-res...
copy project file back to tower after off line and relink to DV media.

Otherwise the Offline RT format will not work with non-timecode sources such as those captured via S-Video.

As far as the books.. spend teh extra dough... faster processor, double ram (and laptop ram costs a lot more than desktop ram) bigger drive (which is a pain to upgrade) and a free airport card (which will be nice when starbucks start with the free wireless internet in stores)

-Rich

Robrecord

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2001
Offline RT

Offline RT is sorta a gimick. I've been doing if for a while now. All it is Digitizing with the Jpeg compresser at low rez. Then redigitizing at high rez with DV or uncompressed what ever.

bunge

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2001
My hope was that with the addition of Time Code, it might be possible to convert the DV to OfflineRT, edit the OLRT smaller source because it's smaller and quicker to use, but then somehow have FCP3 use the original DV source, linking the Time Codes of the different sources, and edit the original never recompressed DV into the same timeline that the OLRT has. This would allow someone to edit quickly and just have an automated step to align the original source once the final cut was made and re-render the entire project.

Classic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
I think that's what happens.

I think that is what happens. You use your OfflineRT to do your edits. Then when it comes time for your online, you apply your project to the normal DV footage, not the OfflineRT. Ofcourse, then you'll have to render your final output.

Maybe I"m wrong, but I think this is how it's used.

forgiven

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2001
aye aye aye

DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS??? (Off line real time and DV?)

I am wondering if it is worth it to buy a Ti 667 over a Ti550 or possibly a desktop model that is faster than either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.