Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm doing color correction on a clip using the color corrector filter, but I'd like to only perform the correction on a certain area of the image. Is there a way to apply a garbage matte which will "tell" the color corrector to only operate on the portion of the image inside the garbage matte? If it can't be done with a garbage matte, is there some other matte or mask technique I can use to do it?

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
if the clip isnt that long I would export it as a sequence and use photoshop. Im not that sure on how to do this in fcp but would really like to learn how to apply a matte on a area of a clip where the effects would take place only on that matted area. Whats your example of the clip your doing.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Apply the Color Correction filter to the clip and de-saturate it. Click on the Limit Effect in the Visual CC 3-Way window. Pick the color you want, adjust some of the parameters to get the color to be isolated as best you can.

Now, if parts of an image has the same color as the object you are trying to isolate, but it also shows up. You need to remove the unwanted color by duplicating the clip onto a new layer exactly on top of the first. With the duplicated video clip in the viewer, turn off Limit Effect. Click on the Motion tab and crop the layer so you remove the offending colored objects. You may need to set cropping keyframes if the object moves inside the frame.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks for the reply Lacero. I ended up doing something similar to what you suggested, only I used the garbage matte instead of the motion tab. The trick that I was missing was to duplicate the clip on the next track up and composite the color corrected/garbage matted clip with the original clip.

Espnetboy3,
In this case, the Photoshop method wouldn't have been practical because the clip is too long. The way I figured out to get the effect to only apply to the matted area is to apply both the effect and the garbage matte filter to the clip in question. Make sure the garbage matte is on top in the filters list. The effect will apply to the whole frame, and then the garbage matte will cut what you don't want out. You then composite this (by placing in the next video track up) with the original clip. The end result is that the garbage matted filtered portion of the video is overlayed on the unchanged frame, and you end up with the exact same result as you would get by only applying the effect to the specific portion of the frame selected by the garbage matte.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.