Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Hi
I'm trying to log some footage i got today for my final major project and i'm using my Pal mini dv cam to play the footage into log and capture. but when i connect the camera and open up final cut pro it says it cannot locate the device. please could someone tell my how to set it up so i can play my footage into final cut pro. It's already all set up to do this at college so i've never had too lol.
Thanks
Amy

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
Just make sure you have fully set up FCP to import and work with PAL instead of NTSC.

Go to the "Final Cut Pro" Menu then "Audio/Video Settings..." then Set everything in all the tabs across the top to "DV PAL 48 KHz"

Set it up like mine in the picture except PAL instead of NTSC.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 132

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Thank you i tried all those but now when i try and 'capture now' it comes up the the message that is in the screen pic below. and when i press play on the fcp controls it only plays on my video camera and won't play in the preview screen.

Thanks
Amy

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
I've just deleted my user preferences and it still won't work, when i connect my mini dv cam and open fcp it comes up with (see pic below)

and still won't let me log and capture, and doesn't show my video in the preview screen on fcp.

Thanks
Amy

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I know this a dumb question, but is the camera turned on? If so, is it in VTR mode or playback mode?

I am at a loss, everytime my devices stop working, I delete the prefs and it fixes it.

Edit: try deleting your com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist file located in User/"your user name"/library/preferences/

Be warned though, it will ask you for your CD key again, so be sure you have it handy.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Yep the camera is turned on and it set to VCR mode. Its strange as fcp says 'VTR ok' on the log and capture screen but still doesn't play in the preview screen or doesn't let me capture my clips.
Thanks
Amy

Applespider

macrumors G4
Can you check that the FW cable is OK?

If you open up iMovie, will it see the camera?

Other suggestions that I seem to recall seeing in the past when things aren't working... check that the time on the DV camera is correct compared to your Mac. Other people have reported problems in iMovie with this where opening up Garageband seems to reset whatever the problem is (no idea why!)

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
If worst comes to the worst capture the footage in iMovie and export it as DV for editing in FCP. On the Log and Capture screen try selecting Firewire PAL Basic incase your camera works best with that standard. Can you use the VCR controls on the camera in the Log and Capture window (ie; play, seek etc) or do you have no control at all?

Hopefully you'll get some sun in Skipton tomorrow, I bet it will be raining here in Leeds ;)

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Thank you i will try the firewire basic set up now. the controls are on the log and capture thing, and they do work but the picture just plays on the lcd screen on the camera and not the preview window in fcp.
If i don't get it working i'll use iMovie to capture my footage :)

I'm hoping it doesn't rain in skipton tomorrow its a long walk from the train station to collge, only up a park but its a long way when it's raining lol

hsilver

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
New York
Is everything else in audio/videos settings correct? –the project is DV PAL, the Capture setting is DV PAL, the Device Control for the Camera is the correct device? Have you tried rebooting?

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
I got it working yey! I erased my hard drive and reinsalled everything again :) I'm not sure what i had done to it though lol.
Thank you to every one who helped me :)

MTDude

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
West Coast
Do you have an iSight?

FCP does not play nice with the iSight. Disconnect that too if you have not already and see if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.