Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I've added titles and am pretty much ready to upload to Youtube. Do you feel it's best to use the Youtube share function?, or save as a high quality master file, and upload that to Youtube manually? Thanks again so much.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I've added titles and am pretty much ready to upload to Youtube. Do you feel it's best to use the Youtube share function?, or save as a high quality master file, and upload that to Youtube manually? Thanks again so much.

Manual upload. Gives you more flexibility on the YouTube side of things.

Also less likely to encounter errors

marcinsf

Suspended
Jul 4, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Ran across this thread as I’m starting to try to learn and use Final Cut Pro X (10.5.2). Definitely a novice at this so any help is appreciated. I’ve started by creating my Library, Project and Event. Seems cumbersome but I do understand how they all could be useful especially for a large project.
My project is a small one where I’m trying to put together 10 -15 clips. They are a youtube mod video. Some of the video I have audio and some I’ll need to do voice over. Right now though, I want to insert a small 1-3 second space in my timeline with new audio and video. I managed to insert the audo by turnning off video and dragging in the audio clip to the video timeline. The put the new audio in the timeline but the video associated with it is black.

What I have is a before vid - audio - after vid.

I think I’m kind of getting the paradym down that the editing you do depends on the setting and mode (audio, video, all) that the editor is in.

I don’t have a comfortable feeling though on all this so would love to have a sounding board.
I went to try to find Casperes1996 video to watch it but it’s gone :(

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Ran across this thread as I’m starting to try to learn and use Final Cut Pro X (10.5.2). Definitely a novice at this so any help is appreciated. I’ve started by creating my Library, Project and Event. Seems cumbersome but I do understand how they all could be useful especially for a large project.
My project is a small one where I’m trying to put together 10 -15 clips. They are a youtube mod video. Some of the video I have audio and some I’ll need to do voice over. Right now though, I want to insert a small 1-3 second space in my timeline with new audio and video. I managed to insert the audo by turnning off video and dragging in the audio clip to the video timeline. The put the new audio in the timeline but the video associated with it is black.

What I have is a before vid - audio - after vid.

I think I’m kind of getting the paradym down that the editing you do depends on the setting and mode (audio, video, all) that the editor is in.

I don’t have a comfortable feeling though on all this so would love to have a sounding board.
I went to try to find Casperes1996 video to watch it but it’s gone :(

I've no idea what video I did... I'll be happy to redo it if you tell me what I was showing? Haha

I'm also not sure I even understand what you're saying about the audio/video stuff. You don't need to turn off video or anything like that to drag in an audio clip.
My best tip is to go look up ThisGuyEdits on YouTube. He's an award winning film editor and has both general purpose and Final Cut specific videos. Also Ripple Training - and of course the final cut manual itself

marcinsf

Suspended
Jul 4, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks, I’ll check out the youtube suggestions.
What I meant about the audio/video stuff was that when I drug in an audio clip it put it under the main video timeline and wouldn’t let me put it in the main video timeline. When I put on audio only, it allowed me to put it in the audio timeline and left a blank black screen while the audio was playing.

What I had was a before clip - then some pasted in audio - after clip.
I wanted to show one of those before then after videos to show the mod I did before and after.
I’ll pm you and maybe pick your brain on some cool stuff to do. I’d love to have a sounding board for ideas and ways to do them.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
What I meant about the audio/video stuff was that when I drug in an audio clip it put it under the main video timeline and wouldn’t let me put it in the main video timeline. When I put on audio only, it allowed me to put it in the audio timeline and left a blank black screen while the audio was playing.

Right. So the magnetic timeline prioritises video in the main section. And clips with both audio and video are generally tied together, but can be detached by option-clicking and selecting detach audio
In the case of wanting to insert a hole with just audio it should be possible to just drag it up, though you need to drag it to a empty bit not just on-top of footage; So it needs to go at the edges of clips (make a cut if no edge exists where you want to place it).
Alternatively a generator can be used to create "empty" video to associate with the audio.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Ok, let me play around a bit with that idea.
Where do I find the ‘generator’ for the ‘empty’ video stuff?

Top left where you can select media browser there should be a button to switch to the “Generators” tab. The one called “Custom” defaults to just a black screen. There’s also one titled Solid Colour but it defaults to green or something like that and needs to be changed in the inspector if you want black.- Also other options for visual elements in there that can just be slotted into the timeline. Can send a screenshot tomorrow if you can’t find it. In bed now with iPad :)

marcinsf

Suspended
Jul 4, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I found the generator stuff. I did put in a small generator vid for my voice clip.
How do I do scene transitions - e.g. once scene close up moving to another detail scene?

and, I make yummy blueberry whole wheat pancakes :D

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I found the generator stuff. I did put in a small generator vid for my voice clip.
How do I do scene transitions - e.g. once scene close up moving to another detail scene?

and, I make yummy blueberry whole wheat pancakes :D
If it's OK with you, I think I'll take this to private since it feels out of scope for this thread :)

But if anyone's reading and want to know now that I'm posting anyway, lower right area, just below the inspector, you can click into effects and transitions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.