Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I would think the rendering would be a bit on the slow side, not the mention the lack of visual real-estate to get all the windows open thqat FCP uses with tools and whatnot.

win_convert

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
Aus.
Final Cut Pro plus Soundtrack and Livetype will take up about 16gig of hard drive space before you even think about downloading your video.

Typerighter

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2005
I've got an iBook G4 1.2 and use FCP on it. In fact, FCP HD. If you know your way around the FCP's Media Manager, you can compress your DV footage down to something the iBook can handle. It won't look as good, but for straight editing with no effects and so forth, it works terrifically. Then you transfer your edit "file" back to a faster machine (in my case, a G4 dual 533) and do all your uncompressed DV renders in there.

So my answer is this, yes, the iBook can handle FCP if you:

1) Don't use exotic effects -- just straight edits
2) Use Media Manager to compress your DV footage to smaller, faster files
3) Use another, faster machine to handle the full-on rendering of the original, uncompressed footage

Now, having said that, I've used the same technique on an iBook G3 600 ("son of Pismo") with the same great results. On that machine, it TOTALLY maxes out the processor, but it still works.

Hope that helped...

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I should see no reason why it wouldn't work like it does on the PowerBooks given that you feed the iBook the maximum amount of RAM. The only other limiting factors are the graphics card memory and the size of the screen (1024x768) is somewhat limiting when you have all of Final Cut's windows open.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
FCP HD on a 12" iBook can be fine if you are doing your plain editing with minimal effects.

With a lot of effects I would suggest either put more ram and get a faster HDD. Since FCP uses the HDD for scratch files even if you have more then 1gig of ram.

The screen is not too bad you can always span it, no biggy. :)

Though if you can afford it I would get the 15" PB for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.