Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
I have an old MBP with Big Sur on it.

How do I get a copy of Final Cut Pro?

I thought that FCP was free and should already be on my Mac.

Looking for a way to do basic editing of videos that I shoot and chop down longer videos (e.g. 1 hour) down to the key parts (e.g. few minutes).

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have an old MBP with Big Sur on it.

How do I get a copy of Final Cut Pro?

I thought that FCP was free and should already be on my Mac.

Looking for a way to do basic editing of videos that I shoot and chop down longer videos (e.g. 1 hour) down to the key parts (e.g. few minutes).

You can download both Final Cut Pro and iMovie from the Mac App Store. iMovie is free and included with macOS (though it can be deleted, and subsequently re-installed from the Mac App Store)... Final Cut Pro is a "professional" program that costs $300. FCP is also available as part of the Pro Apps Bundle for Education for $200 if you qualify (includes FCP, Compressor, Logic Pro, Motion and MainStage).

Reactions: dandeco

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
iMovie - Free, meant for beginners
Final Cut Pro - Paid, meant for more advanced users + the people who want more than what iMovie offers.

iMovie comes free on every Mac ever since iMovie 10 came out with Mavericks IIRC. FCP can be purchased from the Mac App Store.

Why don't I have iMovie on my MBP?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
@theMarble says it comes pre-installed...

No need for saracasm

I didn’t read that as a sarcastic response … just answered the question.

It may or may not come pre-installed, depending on what version of macOS is installed and when it was installed.

Regardless, if it’s not installed, just install it now from the Mac App Store for free.

Last edited:

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
I didn’t read that as a sarcastic response … just answered the question.

When someone feels the ned to bold and italicize something, it sure comes across that way. (Plus the emoji)

It may or may not come pre-installed, depending on what version of macOS is installed and when it was installed.

Regardless, if it’s not installed, just install it now from the Mac App Store for free.

Okay.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
When someone feels the ned to bold and italicize something, it sure comes across that way. (Plus the emoji)

Okay.
So, was your response sarcastic? Sometimes bolding and/or italics are simply tools to emphasize the point.

Let's all move on now, as your question has been answered several times in great detail.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
@theMarble says it comes pre-installed...

No need for saracasm
That's right. New Macs that Apple sells come with iMovie, GarageBand and the iWork suite pre-installed. If you're buying a used or refurbished Mac capable of running the newest MacOS versions, you can download and install those apps via the Mac App Store free of charge. (Reminds me of when iPhoto and iMovie used to be free download apps until iLife '04 came out in 2004.)

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
New Macs that Apple sells come with iMovie, GarageBand and the iWork suite pre-installed.
Probably in the US, my MBA M1 bought in Europe didn't have any of them pre-installed.

Since the thread is still titled Final Cut Pro, here's a list of trial versions
Final Cut Pro Trial DMG https://gist.github.com/b0gdanw/956b1edc61145ea21ac4a8c1f6cdccc9
Final Cut Pro release notes https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201237
It might be useful for someone trying to install Final Cut Pro on an older macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.