Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Hi guys!

Hope you're all keeping in great spirits today. Big thank you for taking the time to read this thread.

Title says it all really; I'll be working on a big project with somebody and I'll predominantly be doing the audio editing whilst they're doing the video editing. We'll be in the same household so luckily no remote rubbish. A look online seems to show quite a few hoops to jump through for collaborative video editing and I was really hoping there'd be a much easier way to do this!

1) Can we just set up a shared network drive and have the project saved directly to there and open it on individual machines without any issues of the content loading?

2) Is there any way we can have simultaneous editing at the same time on the same project? Or even one person saves then the other opens it and it's all just... there as it should be?

3) Any other ideas for the best way to go about sharing projects with all of the content as it should be? The main concern is that the audio/video links to the original content; so for instance if I wanted to extend audio/video from an already cropped clip in the timeline, that wouldn't be an issue.

Again I did have a look online but all the steps seem pretty longwinded and it'd be really great if there was an easier and more intuitive way to go about this where it just... works, as if I was editing it all myself from a previous project I did. Hopefully with it being on the same network there might be something that I'm missing?

I sincerely appreciate any suggestions you may have!

All my best wishes and thanks again. :)

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Most likely the quickest place to get a good answer to your question.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Cheers lads, got my question answered at Apple support. FCP.co wouldn't work as the signup email confirmation wouldn't come through.

Basically I made a really stupid noob mistake and was transferring project files between computers, wondering why it wasn't working. What a sack of beans I am.

The fix (or at least the fix for what I'm looking to do) was to create a new library on a shared network folder that each computer could access and start the editing from scratch. No easy way to migrate existing stuff but it's good to know for the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.