Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LittlePaganWoman1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2021
Hello!

I am wondering how I can trouble shoot this crashing issue with Final Cut Pro X. I am using the Big Sur OS on my MacBook Pro. I have been using Final Cut Pro for a little while now without any issues until tonight when I tried to add my audio to my edited footage. I do not know why it crashed. It has been fine up until then. Do any of you know why and how to fix it, without having to worry about uninstalling it and reinstalling it?

Also, everything is up to date, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
Does it crash every time you do this?

What file format and coded is the audio using? How to you add it to the project/timeline?

LittlePaganWoman1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2021
Does it crash every time you do this?

What file format and coded is the audio using? How to you add it to the project/timeline?
Thank you for your reply!

And it does not crash everytime, it has not crashed yesterday or today but when it did crash I was trying to put a .caf audio file in to the timeline. Which files actually cause the program to crash? Which files are more compatible with the program?

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
A .caf audio file is just a container, it can hold a lot more information than a .wav or .mp3 though. If you have Logic Pro or Garage Band, you might be able to open the audio project in FCP directly using the BROWSER and the Photo and Audio sidebar within that. There should be an option to import data from a GB/LP project.

Otherwise, there is no list that I know of, which files crash FCP. It either imports the media or it doesn't allow it. If it crashes, it crashes. If it crashes repeatedly, it is problem. If it is only once, then it is okay.

LittlePaganWoman1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2021
A .caf audio file is just a container, it can hold a lot more information than a .wav or .mp3 though. If you have Logic Pro or Garage Band, you might be able to open the audio project in FCP directly using the BROWSER and the Photo and Audio sidebar within that. There should be an option to import data from a GB/LP project.

Otherwise, there is no list that I know of, which files crash FCP. It either imports the media or it doesn't allow it. If it crashes, it crashes. If it crashes repeatedly, it is problem. If it is only once, then it is okay.
Understood. I think when I edited my audio files in Audition it was not really great? Maybe I need to edit my audio files in Logic Pro or Garage Band instead. Thankfully FCP does not crash all the time, just that one time while I was trying to import my audio files. Plus I am a new to the Mac Os system and software. I went from PC to Mac and I am really happy that I did. I am really loving the UI of the Mac. Final Cut Pro X seems to be so much better than Premier Pro. So I am still trying to figure out which audio files will be incompatible with FCP.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
You could always export to a .wav or .aiff file from Audition. And Audition might be easier to use than Logic Pro or Garage Band when doing certain things. I used Audition for a while and the things I did there (removing an s or some other sound here and there) was easier for me in there than in Logic Pro. Though with Final Cut Pro (X) you can edit audio in smaller steps than frames nowadays.

LittlePaganWoman1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2021
You could always export to a .wav or .aiff file from Audition. And Audition might be easier to use than Logic Pro or Garage Band when doing certain things. I used Audition for a while and the things I did there (removing an s or some other sound here and there) was easier for me in there than in Logic Pro. Though with Final Cut Pro (X) you can edit audio in smaller steps than frames nowadays.
True. I think .wav and .aiff are more flexible an they still have a lot of information. I still need to work around Logic Pro and Garage Band better because I can isolate edits more, I think. But Final Cut Pro is still super good! I can definitely edit audio well in there but I am still getting the hang of it too. I like them both better than Premier Pro but I still think that After Effects is just as good. Audition is interesting and not horrible to use. I do need to be careful about file formats for sure.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
True. I think .wav and .aiff are more flexible an they still have a lot of information. I still need to work around Logic Pro and Garage Band better because I can isolate edits more, I think. But Final Cut Pro is still super good! I can definitely edit audio well in there but I am still getting the hang of it too. I like them both better than Premier Pro but I still think that After Effects is just as good. Audition is interesting and not horrible to use. I do need to be careful about file formats for sure.
You will get the hang of it, and what workflow works best for you.
It takes time, even after four or five years of using FCP and some other applications, I still find new and better or faster or more efficient ways to do something. As long as you have fun and are not frustrated, edit on.

LittlePaganWoman1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2021
You will get the hang of it, and what workflow works best for you.
It takes time, even after four or five years of using FCP and some other applications, I still find new and better or faster or more efficient ways to do something. As long as you have fun and are not frustrated, edit on.
It is a learning curve for sure but a very fun and challenging one! I don't mind that it takes time since I'll be learning more ways to utilize FCP. I definitely like it more than Premiere Pro. But After Effects can be quite useful for more exact video edits and then import it into FCP for any other edits. FCP and After Effects seem to be more seamless in workflow which I like, granted that After Effects is based on Microsoft which has its own issues.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
It is a learning curve for sure but a very fun and challenging one! I don't mind that it takes time since I'll be learning more ways to utilize FCP. I definitely like it more than Premiere Pro. But After Effects can be quite useful for more exact video edits and then import it into FCP for any other edits. FCP and After Effects seem to be more seamless in workflow which I like, granted that After Effects is based on Microsoft which has its own issues.
You could take a look at Motion (50 € once), it is quite a powerful application.
What exact video edits do you perform in AE that cannot be done in FCP?

LittlePaganWoman1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2021
You could take a look at Motion (50 € once), it is quite a powerful application.
What exact video edits do you perform in AE that cannot be done in FCP?
In After Effects you can add motion or do more indepth rendering. FCP and After Effects are different in regards to what the features are. FCP is fairly quick editing and color correcting. I have some footage with spots on the corners and I think I can get rid of it in After Effects with a heal brush tool on each frame better than I can in Final Cut Pro.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
In After Effects you can add motion or do more indepth rendering. FCP and After Effects are different in regards to what the features are. FCP is fairly quick editing and color correcting. I have some footage with spots on the corners and I think I can get rid of it in After Effects with a heal brush tool on each frame better than I can in Final Cut Pro.
FCP is more for editing, and AE is more for compositing and such stuff.

As I don't know, what kind of spots you mean and what you can accomplish with the healing brush, maybe the MASK tools in FCP > Effects Browser > MASK ... could help, but I doubt it. Sadly there is also nothing like the healing brush in Motion. But if you already have AE and are comfortable with it, heal on. ;)

LittlePaganWoman1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2021
FCP is more for editing, and AE is more for compositing and such stuff.

As I don't know, what kind of spots you mean and what you can accomplish with the healing brush, maybe the MASK tools in FCP > Effects Browser > MASK ... could help, but I doubt it. Sadly there is also nothing like the healing brush in Motion. But if you already have AE and are comfortable with it, heal on. ;)
Haha I'll "heal on" ? and yes AE is more for composting and adding motion effects to still images. I do need to read more about AE features and see how I can incorporate both AE and FCP together since they seem to be able to crossover nicely. The spots on my footage look like dust or something and it's right on the bottom right of the frames ?.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.