Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoooaaahhhh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Any thing on the rumor mill about Final Cut Studio 6? I heard something a little while back that there were going to be two Final Cut packages at NAB. The Regular Final Cut for its regular price around 1299, and then another package around 3000-5000, that would have new programs designed especially for Digital Intermediate work. Heard this from a fairly reliable source, don't quote me on the prices, and no it wasn't anyone at apple!

whoooaaahhhh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Just as I suspected

Thanks man, sounds just like what I expected. As an editor, I hope that this will finally unseat AVID as king in the industry. It'll be interesting to see what the hardware requirements are now with the intel switch, since Mac Pros might not be out until August! Who knows!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Nothing like reliable rumors... Think Secret's cost for the "high end" version of Final Cut is 2-3 times more than your "reliable source" and, based on everything I've read about Red Think Secret's price of "upwards of $200,000" is way off the mark.

IMO, some things FCP is really lacking compared to Avid is a robust media manager and the multi project/multi user environment. While a hi-end finishing app would add to the "wow" factor of Final Cut and give an easier path to hi-end finishing, I hope Apple addresses some of the less glamorous, but still important short comings of FCP.

Lethal

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I was waiting for an NAB announcement for Final Cut Studio '6', but wasn't expecting it to be available for some time after that.

However I spotted this promotion for an Final Cut Studio discount when you buy a new PowerMac, iMac or MacBook Pro. It says it'll end June 26th.

So I'm assuming FCS6 won't be made available until sometime after this date, in which case I think I'll be picking up 5.1 sometime in the next couple of weeks.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i too am waiting for the version of FCS as i'm interested in buying either an imac or a intel PM...

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
LethalWolfe said:
IMO, some things FCP is really lacking compared to Avid is a robust media manager and the multi project/multi user environment. While a hi-end finishing app would add to the "wow" factor of Final Cut and give an easier path to hi-end finishing, I hope Apple addresses some of the less glamorous, but still important short comings of FCP.

Lethal
amen, man

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I think we see FCE at NAB and Studio later. Reason is that they updated Studio just a few days ago to universal. The time between now and NAB is to short. My guess. But they say in the FCE version that the next version will be universal.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
MacBook Pro 17inch but no FCP6?

Since Apple announced the 17-inch MBP, but nothing else, does that mean no FCP/Studio6 for NAB, or is it still too early in the week?

(I'm waiting on an announcement to judge my Studio purchase)

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Kingsly said:
my boss went to NAB and left me here twiddling my thumbs... damn.
are you serious? that is nothing.. my dad is the cfo for euphonix (they make very high end audio systems for movies and broadcast and stuff), and he gets to go to nab tommorow. that just pisses me off. he gets to go as a cfo, and i, as a mac/video addict, dont...!

after thinking about it, i realized that it was a bit obvious that they weren't gonna be able to do fcs 6 for nab. they just released fcs 5.1 a month or two ago. the need for universal binaries threw them off thier annual nab schedule. so i imagne that it will come in the fall, but still very dissapointing.

so, no. i don't think they will announce fcs 6 at nab

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Been waiting to mail in my Soundtrack Pro disc to upgrade to FCS5.1 for NAB just in case FCP6 is announced. Just in case, I'm going to wait until the end of the week before sending it in...

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
mandoman said:
Been waiting to mail in my Soundtrack Pro disc to upgrade to FCS5.1 for NAB just in case FCP6 is announced. Just in case, I'm going to wait until the end of the week before sending it in...

I'm doing the same, although my bum's getting numb from sitting on the fence for a while ... :)

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
virus1 said:
are you serious? that is nothing.. my dad is the cfo for euphonix (they make very high end audio systems for movies and broadcast and stuff), and he gets to go to nab tommorow. that just pisses me off. he gets to go as a cfo, and i, as a mac/video addict, dont...!
well, the worst part is my boss usually invites me to tag along to these kinds of conferences and expos. No dice this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.