Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Is Final Cut Studio universal yet? i haven't ready any announcements and all the website says is "Shipping March 2006". I need to get a new editing computer with FCS ASAP but I dont want the PowerPC version to run on my new iMac.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
isn't NAB in April do you think they update FCS then?
cause i to am interested in getting FCS and maybe an imac or new intel PM in July/Aug

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
LethalWolfe said:
I'd assume a new FCP will be announced at NAB, but I wouldn't expect anything to ship until June.

Lethal
i hope they do a new demo reel, i enjoy watching those or the 2 that i have

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
hmmm...... so there MIGHT be a universal version in March, but a NEW version would be available after NAB. Man, that makes my desision even harder. Typically, how exspenseive is the upgrade if I were to buy the current FCS now and upgrade in June / July?

Josiah4128

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2005
Boulder, CO
FCP 3 on Intel iMac???

I know this is a little off the thread, but can a person use FCP on a Intel iMac? I have been very satisfied with running other pro apps, but was reluctant to load FCP3 because I didn't want to bog down my Intel iMac.
Any opinions? Success stories?

Thanks

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
Josiah4128 said:
I know this is a little off the thread, but can a person use FCP on a Intel iMac? I have been very satisfied with running other pro apps, but was reluctant to load FCP3 because I didn't want to bog down my Intel iMac.
Any opinions? Success stories?

Thanks

No, it just doesn't work.

batchthemighty

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2006
more questions

questions I have: (not sure anyone can answer them, but I'll get them out of my head by asking them here :) )

1) We're only about 2 to 3 days till the end of March, are the Crossgrades (or upgrades if you got a upgrade to universal binary Final Cut Studio from qualifying programs like Motion 2 etc.) is it going to make the March shipping date ?

2) What's in the box/envelope for the upgrade ? Just the disk(s) ? Or will we get the full box with printed manuals and such just like if we purchased studio new?

3) I noticed on the upgrade forms that that Academic products qualified for the upgrade. Is Apple upgrading the Academic versions to retail versions, or to Academic Studio (I have friends that would be excited to have the retail version, but I'm not sure if it's really any different)

4) Are there any differences other than being universal? Or any other updates ? example: update DVDSP to import iDVD 5 & 6 files.

Anyhow off my mind now :)

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
LethalWolfe said:
Shipping in March is the UB cross-grade disc.

Lethal

How is the cross-grade disc different from a Universal Version of FCP? Am I missing something here?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
batchthemighty said:
1) We're only about 2 to 3 days till the end of March, are the Crossgrades (or upgrades if you got a upgrade to universal binary Final Cut Studio from qualifying programs like Motion 2 etc.) is it going to make the March shipping date ?

2) What's in the box/envelope for the upgrade ? Just the disk(s) ? Or will we get the full box with printed manuals and such just like if we purchased studio new?

3) I noticed on the upgrade forms that that Academic products qualified for the upgrade. Is Apple upgrading the Academic versions to retail versions, or to Academic Studio (I have friends that would be excited to have the retail version, but I'm not sure if it's really any different)

4) Are there any differences other than being universal? Or any other updates ? example: update DVDSP to import iDVD 5 & 6 files.

1. they are officially on sale today and seem to be shipping, so they made the date.. barely. ;)

2. depends what you bought. if you sent in discs for a crossgrade, you should just get some universal discs in return. but if you did an upgrade, you should get the manuals and all that stuff, i'd imagine.

3. academic and retail versions are the same, just different license agreements (can't use academic version to make money)... i believe.

4. i doubt it. expect those updates to come via software update.

pashazade

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Richmond, London, UK
batchthemighty said:
questions I have: (not sure anyone can answer them, but I'll get them out of my head by asking them here :) )

My Crossgrade (from Motion 2) arrived yesterday (30th)

Envelope. Licence Agreement, Serial Number + FCS Install DVD, DVD Studio Pro 4 Install DVD, Motion 2 Install DVD, Soundtrack Pro Install, (All disks marked as Crossgrade) + Apple Pro Training x2, Apple Loops, LiveType Media x2.

All Apps are version x.1

No manuals :(

Not checked as yet but they are all version x.1s

vidiot

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2006
Hi all,

I am anxiously awaiting my Universal FCP 5.1.. Can anyone tell me the shipping method ?? US Mail. UPS ??

Thanks
Mike Moncrief

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
pashazade said:
My Crossgrade (from Motion 2) arrived yesterday (30th)

Envelope. Licence Agreement, Serial Number + FCS Install DVD, DVD Studio Pro 4 Install DVD, Motion 2 Install DVD, Soundtrack Pro Install, (All disks marked as Crossgrade) + Apple Pro Training x2, Apple Loops, LiveType Media x2.

All Apps are version x.1
Do you mean we have to run software update again to get the latest updates to all these apps??? :confused: I don't know if my understanding of "version x.1" is correct.

pashazade

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Richmond, London, UK
wiseguy27 said:
Do you mean we have to run software update again to get the latest updates to all these apps??? :confused: I don't know if my understanding of "version x.1" is correct.

No. I've just installed it (which took a verrry long time) and did a Software Update, nothing came up.

By Version x.1 I mean

DVD Studio Pro 4.1
Motion 2.1
Soundtrack Po 2.1
Final Cut 5.1

Regards :)

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I have it!

I've been playing with FCS on my Intel iMac. Motion seems fine although certain particle generators (like snow) seem to cause a massive slowdown. I tried importing said project into FCP and this caused much slowness. This slightly rattled my faith in the 'Studio Workflow' but I suspect it was my choice of project that caused the problem.

Rendering is quick in FCP (compared to previous 1.25 GHz G4). I flicked on 16 bit float (in Motion) at one point and noticed that exporting only used about 40% of the CPUs (and took ages). I wonder why? Is 16/32 bit float a G5 thing?

vidiot

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2006
Hello,
How much memory is in your Intel imac?? 2ghz model?? How much Vram??

and fianlly how did the crossgrade arrive?? US Mail??

Chomping at the bbit form my FCP..

Mike m.

jacg said:
I've been playing with FCS on my Intel iMac. Motion seems fine although certain particle generators (like snow) seem to cause a massive slowdown. I tried importing said project into FCP and this caused much slowness. This slightly rattled my faith in the 'Studio Workflow' but I suspect it was my choice of project that caused the problem.

Rendering is quick in FCP (compared to previous 1.25 GHz G4). I flicked on 16 bit float (in Motion) at one point and noticed that exporting only used about 40% of the CPUs (and took ages). I wonder why? Is 16/32 bit float a G5 thing?

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
jacg said:

The snow emitter bogs down my Dual 2.5 G5 at work something nasty. That's pretty normal.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
vidiot said:
Hello,
How much memory is in your Intel imac?? 2ghz model?? How much Vram??

and fianlly how did the crossgrade arrive?? US Mail??

Chomping at the bbit form my FCP..

Mike m.

2 GB. 20 " 2 GHz. 256 MB. No holds barred here!

UK Apple store send stuff via the courier TNT.

Hope you get yours soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.