Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Hey all.

I've always loved all the Final Fantasy games and as I haven't played an MMORPG in a long time I had decided to buy FFXIV and jump into the genre again. 'Alas, after I'd bought it I realized the June 23rd release date wasn't just for the expansion, - but also for the OS X client! Doh! :p Which I guess is both good and bad, since I'll be able to jump into the game right as the new expansion comes out.

In the mean time I was wondering if anyone else here plays this game, your thoughts, and maybe direct me to some resources I could brush up on while I wait?

Also, I do have a gaming mouse but how playable is this game with only the trackpad out of curiosity?

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
I couldn't imagine playing FFXIV with a trackpad or pretty much any game, though I guess it's possible...stick with the mouse imo. YMMV.

And yes, looking forward to the mac release. Will be curious to see how well it's wrapped. But keep in mind, you'll need to buy the Mac combo pack if you plan to play on a Mac since the licenses are platform specific. You won't be able to hop right onto the mac client if you only own the pc version. Far as info, you can probably google nearly any questions you'd have, as well as gander at their official website.

Just be prepared for some lulls as with most games at max level. If you ever played EQ, you'd understand when I say it has a tendency but it's a visually stunning game with a great storyline and you'll be able to fly in a few weeks which is pretty exciting and gives a little more depths to the game.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Awesome. I'll make sure to stick with my mouse then.

And yeah, I really dislike having to launch into bootcamp for gaming so here's hoping it'll be a stable release. I have an xbox One so console is sort of out, hah. Have you played the game with your 2015 MBP yet? If so, what resolution/graphics quality have you been able to get?

The youtube videos/trailers/guides I've been looking at make it look pretty fun so I'm looking forward to it, and I'm the type to play it in short sessions so if the level cap is being raised to 60 in the new expansion I should be fine content-wise.

urbanracer34

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
I know this is a big necro-bump, but some information has come forward regarding the game on MacOS.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/a94c4d903f5ea93de29cc1ed7ce37cef3d31d8fd

Square Enix support for the Mac 32-bit version of FINAL FANTASY XIV will end with the start of early access for FINAL FANTASY XIV: Shadowbringers, currently scheduled for late-June 2019.

FINAL FANTASY XIV may still be accessible through the 32-bit application even after support has ended, and Square Enix may respond to requests for technical support for the 32-bit application, but such accessibility and support may be limited and is not guaranteed.

Square Enix plans to support a new, 64-bit version of the FINAL FANTASY XIV application with the start of early access for FINAL FANTASY XIV: Shadowbringers. Square Enix is scheduled to switch to the 64-bit version of FINAL FANTASY XIV for Mac on June 6, 2019. In order to facilitate a smooth transition, we hope to provide an early release of the 64-bit application in late-May 2019.

Below are the minimum system requirements we believe will be needed for the new Mac 64-bit application:

- OS
macOS Mojave 10.14.2

- Memory
4GB

- Free Disk Space
60GB

- Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 M295X or higher

- Recommended Screen Resolution
1600x900

- Internet
Broadband Internet connection

- Communications port
If you are using a router, please set up your ports so that the below packets can pass through.
[Ports that may be used]
TCP:80, 443, 54992 - 54994, 55006 - 55007, 55021 – 55040

Since the 64-bit application is still in active development, Square Enix cannot guarantee specific release dates or minimum system requirements at this time. We will provide more detailed and finalized information about downloading, installation, and exporting configuration settings for the new 64-bit application at a later date.

Thank you for your understanding and continued support

Here's hoping for METAL and Native support!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Final Fantasy XIV officially has Catalina support now!

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/25d8b314a91d78b2845433e004b94cf6533fe1a0

Have to re download 64-bit launcher here: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/mac/download/

Game Data may have to be redownloaded.

Info is from a reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/e334hl

Thanks for the update.

I plan on sticking with Mojave in order to run all the other apps and games that are not updating to 64 bit.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The complete MacOS version of FFXIV is available on the Square-Enix store for $30 right now. I took the 50% discount and added it to my account so I could play it on my new 16" MBP. Works beautifully.

urbanracer34

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
The complete MacOS version of FFXIV is available on the Square-Enix store for $30 right now. I took the 50% discount and added it to my account so I could play it on my new 16" MBP. Works beautifully.
What is the performance like? I'm looking to get a 16 inch MBP sometime soon.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
What is the performance like? I'm looking to get a 16 inch MBP sometime soon.

I'm using the i7, 16 GB RAM, and 5300M 4 GB so I'm getting excellent performance on High on my 16". It's quite nice to be completely honest with you! If you're up for it, you should get a model with the 5500M 8 GB so you can play on higher settings, but it really isn't that huge of a compromise if you went with the base model like I did.

Reactions: compwiz1202

urbanracer34

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
I'm using the i7, 16 GB RAM, and 5300M 4 GB so I'm getting excellent performance on High on my 16". It's quite nice to be completely honest with you! If you're up for it, you should get a model with the 5500M 8 GB so you can play on higher settings, but it really isn't that huge of a compromise if you went with the base model like I did.
Great to hear! I'm wanting the 8GB upgrade on the video card on my machine, that's for sure! ;)

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.