Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larapumkin

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
It's all personal preference, because I have a different setup

I use BSE for everything. Believe me, I've tried everything and every combo. For me, i like a backpiece that is one piece. IS and SGP shields have separate stickers for the chrome, which adds seems and there is inevitably overlap which is ugly.

Bodyguardz is OK, but I could never get the front screen part on, without irregularities. Also, I kinda like the tackiness on the screen as well, and I think BSE is similar to IS, in that regard.

My rank order would be:

BSE > IS > SGP > Bodyguardz

im with sgp's and mine does not overlap.
did you install shorter ones first and then longer ones(or visa versa)?
i did short - long - short- long and this method worked perfect for me.
IS, BG, BSE, or SGP
They all must have people who taylor this in duty and they would not sell out the wrong taylored one, which means if someone didn't get it right, that does not mean they produced it wrong.
Those skins are thing and flexible so result can be vary imo.
this is one of the way i find my own satisfaction lol

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Can i get a sticky since this question seems to get asked all the time ?

nomadic82

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

I've just read through this thread (and searched) and I have one question... Does the Bodyguardz back cover allow access to the SIM card slot on the iPhone? I want to apply my Bodyguardz shield (not arrived yet) to my iPhone (still in its box) and allow it to 'cure' fully before I use the phone...

What that means, however, is that I will need to keep my SIM card in my old phone until I am ready to use my the iPhone. With the Bodyguardz is it possible to access the SIM slot without disrupting the cover?

Thanks in advance from an iPhone noob:D

BrokenE

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Houston
Dr. C,

I recently bought a Power support crystal and in terms of clarity, I don't think it's possible to get significantly better. The crystal IS crystal clear, like there's nothing on the phone. No, i repeat, no orange peel whatsoever. in terms of scratch resistance, i have not tried the BG screen, but have had the crystal for 2 weeks and not a a single scratch. Just my .02.

Thanks for your well written review.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Dr. C,

I recently bought a Power support crystal and in terms of clarity, I don't think it's possible to get significantly better. The crystal IS crystal clear, like there's nothing on the phone. No, i repeat, no orange peel whatsoever. in terms of scratch resistance, i have not tried the BG screen, but have had the crystal for 2 weeks and not a a single scratch. Just my .02.

Thanks for your well written review.

I agree as I stated in my review the PS crystal has '+ 100% optical clarity"

sadly its not very scratch resistant

dont believe me

go into the kitchen grab a knife and try to scratch your shield, it will scratch it. when you scratch the bodyguardz it also scratches it, but the scratches repait themselves.

For the previous post, none of the shields cover the SIM tray, and nice idea on applying the protector on a brand new iPhone

mikelt

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
I'm definitly using the IS for the back.
Does the BodyGuardz scratch easier than the glass itself does??? The glass is pretty scratch resistant but working in construction and using sandpaper and abrasives scraping tools im sure that it would get scratched eventually. If the bodyguardz is much softer/scratchier than the glass then it would scratch too quickly for me to use.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Final Verdict: Power Support Anti-Glare on Front and iStyles Skin on Back

Lets see a frosted front, and a sticker on the back that doesnt protect the edges... yeah that sounds like the best solution :rolleyes:

Anyways I decided to go naked for a week to see how the phone would hold up

there is a slight scratch on the front glass and several scracthes on the plastic back

needless to say being naked sucsk, Im still waiting on my IS rear shield replacement ( thankfully i have an extra bodyguardz front applied on the screen now )

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I'm definitly using the IS for the back.
Does the BodyGuardz scratch easier than the glass itself does??? The glass is pretty scratch resistant but working in construction and using sandpaper and abrasives scraping tools im sure that it would get scratched eventually. If the bodyguardz is much softer/scratchier than the glass then it would scratch too quickly for me to use.

The bodyguardz does scratch easier than glass, but it REPAIRS itself, so most scratches repair themselves.

I had my bodyguardz installed in the front for several months and it was in perfect condition. I took it off and the glass underneath was in perfect condition. after being naked for one week there is already a scratch on the glass ( as in permanent :()

I reapplied my extra bodyguardz front, but am waiting to reinstall my IS when Zagg decides to sent me my repalcement

mikelt

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
The bodyguardz does scratch easier than glass, but it REPAIRS itself, so most scratches repair themselves.

I had my bodyguardz installed in the front for several months and it was in perfect condition. I took it off and the glass underneath was in perfect condition. after being naked for one week there is already a scratch on the glass ( as in permanent :()

I reapplied my extra bodyguardz front, but am waiting to reinstall my IS when Zagg decides to sent me my repalcement

Thanx. Why do alot of forums say that BSE and IS are the same exact product, or theyre the 3m stuff people put on cars to protect the paint if reviews like this one say theyre different?

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Thanx. Why do alot of forums say that BSE and IS are the same exact product, or theyre the 3m stuff people put on cars to protect the paint if reviews like this one say theyre different?

well its because they are similar in texture. i think they use slightly different design cuts, but thats a pretty small point

IS/BSE for the rear is an excellent choice, it gives you added grip and is extremely scracth resistant.. it is wavy looking, but who cares its on the rear

bodyguardz is different, it is thinner and has much less grip, which is ideal because you want to preserve the smooth lag free feeling of the iPhone.

cleepy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
I just have a question about the feel of the front screen protector. I've had friends use the power support anti-glare and it's very smooth compared to my own invisashield which is why I was thinking about switching to that.

Does the Bodyguardz have the same tackiness as the invisashield on the front? How does it compare to the powersupport anti-glare in that field?

The back doesn't really matter to me since I have my iPod Touch in a Contour Case.

Thanks for the help you guys.

ValVal

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2005
Do you still go with these recommendations?

I know some time has passed so I was wondering if you still recommend the BGZ for front and IS/BSE for back?

Also, I have a white iPhone and am wondering about the IS/BSE as far as yellowing and catching dirt. If they yellow, I may go with BGZ front and back.

If anyone has pictures of these on the white iPhone back that would be great!

Thanks for your research, Dr. Cabrera!!!

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I know some time has passed so I was wondering if you still recommend the BGZ for front and IS/BSE for back?

Also, I have a white iPhone and am wondering about the IS/BSE as far as yellowing and catching dirt. If they yellow, I may go with BGZ front and back.

Yes it does turn yellow (because of dirt?) and I installed mine back in Nov '08
(I got no digicam too sorry, it swam)

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008

Yes I still recommend the bodyguardz front + IS rear

THE IS does turn yellow, but I have a black Iphone, so I really don't care.

As far as I can tell the Bodyguardz does not turn yellow, probably because it is less porous

The two options I have finally concluded are

a) if you want a crystal clear front that will protect from scracthes get a Bodyguardz
b) if you want a slick surface that hides fingerprints, but you don't mind a frosted look, get a Power Support Anti-Glare shield.

ValVal

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2005
Yes I still recommend the bodyguardz front + IS rear

THE IS does turn yellow, but I have a black Iphone, so I really don't care.

As far as I can tell the Bodyguardz does not turn yellow, probably because it is less porous

The two options I have finally concluded are

a) if you want a crystal clear front that will protect from scracthes get a Bodyguardz
b) if you want a slick surface that hides fingerprints, but you don't mind a frosted look, get a Power Support Anti-Glare shield.

Do you know if BSE turns yellow? If so, would you then recommend I use BGZ front and back for a white phone? (definitely using BGZ on Front)

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Which do you have?

InvisibleShield (back) for a white iPhone. My guess is 6mos roughly when it gets dirty, still depends on how you use it though.
I'm about to try BSE though, to replace my IS (since freakin warranty replacement skin hasn't been shipped out yet)

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Do you know if BSE turns yellow? If so, would you then recommend I use BGZ front and back for a white phone? (definitely using BGZ on Front)

the thing is, the Bodyguardz really doesn't add enough grip to warrant paying for /installing the shield etc

the IS/BSE shields add a really good amount of grip ( you can stick your iPhone to a pane of glass and it will stick), as well as if you put your phone on the dash of your car, it won't slide around

that added grip is really why its a better choice when compared to the bodyguardz, for the rear

but if you want to save money, the front and back bodyguardz isn't a terrible idea, just not the 100% best combination

Greenman85

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Aren't YOU the fool? I have had the first gen for 2 years now and I have ZERO scratches or abrasions on it. no film protector on it. What the hell are idiots doing to scratch their phones?

I have yet to insult anyone on these forums, but you sir are a fool

The screen is scratch resistant, not scratch proof.

When i had my first iPhone 3G ( before it was dropped) after owning it for 10 days it had already developed tiny scratches. The cost of a screen protector FAR OUTWEIGHS the cost of replacing the iPhone's glass

But it is a personal choice, so I respect your choice not to have one ( but i believe even you will admit that your iPhone currently has scratches on it )

So let me get this straight

You installed your Bodyguardz shield incorrectly, and you are basing your final opinion on that ? How is that a fair assessment

I agree with you that the IS or BSE are better for the rear shields

Again, a properly applied Bodyguardz FRONT SHIELD, is the BEST front shield protection money can buy

If you had air bubbles, that is because you did not apply it correctly. My front Bodyguardz shield has zero dust, and zero air bubbles, it is 100% optically clear.

The only other shield that was 100% optically clear was the Power support Crystal Screen protector.

The Anti-glare protectors cause the screen to have a frosted look

Both the IS and the BSE shields, even when properly applied still have a bit of "haziness"

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I like Bodyguardz for the rear. It has PLENTY of grip. And it "fits" and covers the bezel. I've had all 3 and the Bodyguards is the most generous in size and the one that best covers up the side of the bezel.

I like Power Support Crystal for the front. Feels JUST like the original glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.