Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Things that jumped out:

• Holy cow this thing is heavy.
  • It's heavy.
  • It's uncomfortably heavy.
  • Why is it so heavy?
  • Just what were Apple designers thinking when they decided that this is an acceptable weight?
  • The eye tracking and pinch controls is magical
  • It's the ultimate entertainment device
  • It's got a ton of potential for productivity work
  • I loved everything about it except how heavy it is.
To me, I would buy one at $3,500 if they can reduce the weight by half in future iterations.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
What about the weight, any thoughts?

Seriously though, for how long did you use it? Did you try both bands? Don’t think half weight reduction is going to happen.
Only the cool looking band. It was about 15-20 minute demo.

If they can't reduce the weight drastically, I don't see how people will ever adopt it en mass.

Reactions: DaPhox

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Only the cool looking band. It was about 15-20 minute demo.

If they can't reduce the weight drastically, I don't see how people will ever adopt it en mass.
It's a shame Apple doesn't spend more time on comfort during their demos. I was just given the single loop. That may have been appropriate early on, but not now, with fewer people coming in.

Although I didn't - and still don't - mind using the AVP with the single loop for a short period, I have to use the dual loop when I wear it for longer. If the dual loop hadn't been included, I may have returned the AVP. Although the dual band isn't perfect, I routinely use the AVP for a couple hours or more without issue. Would I be happier if it were lighter? Sure, but it's not at all a showstopper for me.

If you otherwise like the AVP, I'd encourage you to try it with the dual loop and see if that makes a difference for you.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
It took me about a week to really understand how to wear it to minimize the weight and maximize comfort. I struggled for several days thinking the dual-loop was going to be better, and in the end, learning how to wear the single loop band correctly is what helped the most. I've never gone back to the dual loop.

But I agree that Apple hasn't done a good job managing knowledge and use of the device.

Reactions: escape_key

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
It's a shame Apple doesn't spend more time on comfort during their demos. I was just given the single loop. That may have been appropriate early on, but not now, with fewer people coming in.

Although I didn't - and still don't - mind using the AVP with the single loop for a short period, I have to use the dual loop when I wear it for longer. If the dual loop hadn't been included, I may have returned the AVP. Although the dual band isn't perfect, I routinely use the AVP for a couple hours or more without issue. Would I be happier if it were lighter? Sure, but it's not at all a showstopper for me.

If you otherwise like the AVP, I'd encourage you to try it with the dual loop and see if that makes a difference for you.
I've tried both bands, and I still prefer the Solo Knit Band. The weight issue becomes not so bad after your neck muscles get stronger. wear it more often and take breaks when your neck bothers you. Eventually you will be able to wear it comfortably for longer periods of time.

Last edited:

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
It took me about a week to really understand how to wear it to minimize the weight and maximize comfort. I struggled for several days thinking the dual-loop was going to be better, and in the end, learning how to wear the single loop band correctly is what helped the most. I've never gone back to the dual loop.

But I agree that Apple hasn't done a good job managing knowledge and use of the device.
Same for me. I have the majority of the weight resting on the bone above my eyebrow and it's comfortable for long periods of time. If I have it where there's more pressure under my eyes, it gets very puffy there for a while after wearing. My comfort outlasts the battery life!

Reactions: Amazing Iceman

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Same for me. I have the majority of the weight resting on the bone above my eyebrow and it's comfortable for long periods of time. If I have it where there's more pressure under my eyes, it gets very puffy there for a while after wearing. My comfort outlasts the battery life!
I'm glad you and @Amazing Iceman have found the solo band works well for you, but it shows that achieving the greatest comfort varies from person to person.

Reactions: Amazing Iceman

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I'm glad you and @Amazing Iceman have found the solo band works well for you, but it shows that achieving the greatest comfort varies from person to person.
Yep, comfort is a very personal thing.

I had asked for the dual strap prior to my demo and they accommodated me. I didn’t have any discomfort nor did I notice the weight, but that was me.

Reactions: TallGuyGT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.