Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Yes! I've gotten my two 'golden geese', first a 1GHz eMac and a FW Clamshell :). I'll upload some beauty shots soon. Keep a close eye on my Geekbench page for some benchmarks outta these machines :)

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Yes! I've gotten my two 'golden geese', first a 1GHz eMac and a FW Clamshell :). I'll upload some beauty shots soon. Keep a close eye on my Geekbench page for some benchmarks outta these machines :)
Hooray, congrats! Have a lot of fun with the Clamshell!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Here's a first look
1aa5c8a4ec4b4ab6da9f617134442288.jpg

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I actually had a 40GB 7200 RPM drive. You can install Os 9 on the same partition as OS X, so I just did that! I have a nice, full OS 9 stack with After Dark :)
Stupid me - the novice trying to give advice to the master ... ;)
What about Tiger and OS9 on a single partition. (How) can you choose at system-bootup between OS9 and Tiger or do you mean Tiger&Classic-environment?
PS: the indigo looks great - no fading at all and obviously in a nearly mint condition.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Stupid me - the novice trying to give advice to the master ... ;)
What about Tiger and OS9 on a single partition. (How) can you choose at system-bootup between OS9 and Tiger or do you mean Tiger&Classic-environment?
PS: the indigo looks great - no fading at all and obviously in a nearly mint condition.
Bob, in both OS 9 and OS X, there is a Startup Disk (prefpane or control panel) where you can choose what 'folder' to boot to, either /System/ (OS X) or /System Folder/ (OS 9). Also, really the only two flaws on this machine, the left side has 'risen' because the clips said 'bon voyage' but its not noticeable, and a number is engraved in the lid. I could probably sand and buff it out.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Bob, in both OS 9 and OS X, there is a Startup Disk (prefpane or control panel) where you can choose what 'folder' to boot to, either /System/ (OS X) or /System Folder/ (OS 9). Also, really the only two flaws on this machine, the left side has 'risen' because the clips said 'bon voyage' but its not noticeable, and a number is engraved in the lid. I could probably sand and buff it out.
Hmm, I didn't get it yet.
So, Tiger or Leopard has bee previously installed on a machine, does it mean I can install MacOS afterwards onto the same partition without damaging the OS X installation and that I can choose at booting (with "alt" key) into which system I want to boot?
And what about that "full OS9 stack with After Dark" (I just can remember an AfterDark-screensaver software for windows...)

spf2

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
One of the few items still left on my want list. She's a beauty. One day I say.. One day... I'll find one.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Very nice! And it looks in great condition too. My (new to me) Graphite 466SE's top casing has seen better days...

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Bob, in both OS 9 and OS X, there is a Startup Disk (prefpane or control panel) where you can choose what 'folder' to boot to, either /System/ (OS X) or /System Folder/ (OS 9).

Yeah, that's how the factory install is configured on my TiBook. Single partition with both OS 9 and OS X (10.1 in this case). It doesn't show both if you hold option at startup, only the last selected. To change you have to select from within the Startup Disk prefpane.

Oh, and lovely machine keaton. I'm a little jealous! ;)

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
That iBook is very shiny and it looks practically brand new. The rainbow iBooks in my opinion are some of the best looking machines that Apple ever produced, and I think they have more warmth and character too.

Are Clamshell iBook's in good condition easy to find these days, or do you have to hunt around for awhile? I definitely want to pick one of these machines up one day!

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
That iBook is very shiny and it looks practically brand new. The rainbow iBooks in my opinion are some of the best looking machines that Apple ever produced, and I think they have more warmth and character too.

Are Clamshell iBook's in good condition easy to find these days, or do you have to hunt around for awhile? I definitely want to pick one of these machines up one day!

On eBay UK, they do pop occasionally (there are normally a couple on sale always). As well as my 466SE Graphite, I've got an original Blueberry 300Mhz iBook with 320MB RAM that I'm planning to sell. It's in pretty good condition, though it doesn't have the stem from the Apple (which is almost inevitable with these old iBooks), and I don't have a charger for it.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Sorry for another OT-question about dual-boot...:
I was lucky to find a gray OS9 installation-disk that came with a G4-book and I was able to install OS9.2.2 in Classic/Tiger-environment on my acrylic white iBookG3 12" AND I'm able to boot into OS9 the way you described ... :)
Thanks!
But "one more thing ..." eeh, question: I only get tiny 640x480 resolution when booting into OS9 :/ and there's no way to change monitor-resolution with the control-panel, even if recommended resolution of 1024x768 is shown but cannot be selected.
Also my other retail OS9.2.1 install-disk isn't accepted for installation.
Any hints how that can be resolved?
I've got both original OS9 and OSX 10.2 media. Which way do I have go to cram OS9 plus 10.2 => 10.4 into one partition and may also have the option of Classic/Tiger at hands? Is that possible at all?

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
boot into OS X and start classic, it should ask to update something for OS 9 then restart classic. If that doesnt work sounds like the display driver for OS 9 on that ibook was not on that grey installtion disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.