Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
all the apple stores around me have been sold out of base 15" matte screen macbook pros for the last month or so. i didn't want to order online because of how long it took to arrive (oh the irony). i was finally able to locate and pick up one last night. unfortunately, they were all sold out of old nanos so i couldn't get a free one for the student program. lame.
compared to my 3 year old G4 ibook, the MBP is sooo much nicer. the finish is fantastic. although it's only 1" larger displaywise, the wide screen makes a huge difference. the keypad's going to take some getting used to, but i'll manage.
i was glad not to find yellow tint to the screen like some other members here have experienced.
suggestions on apps to DL that i couldnt have on a PPC mac?

thought i'd share a couple of quick snaps

whites are white
display-vi.jpg

nice and thin compard to the ibook
sidebyside-vi.jpg

icons-vi.jpg

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Congrats! :)

I also went from an iBook to a MBP, though it was a 12 inch iBook in my case.

I hope everything works out well for you.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
another thickness comparison
IMG_5090-vi.jpg

differences in size
IMG_5094-vi.jpg

IMG_5096-vi.jpg

downside to the slimmer/longer/less wide aspect is that the MBP does not fit inside my booq bag as snugly as my ibook. i'd really like to pick up the vyper, but man, $200 is a bit pricey. what are you guys using to carry your computer? i like thinner sleeve type cases.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Nice pics, and nice purchase!

I use the in-case sleeve and I toss that into my school bag. It adds virtually no bulk and protects it pretty well.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Congratulations! The pictures look great. I love seeing how Apple hardware has evolved to become even more refined over the years. I personally put my MBP in an InCase Neoprene sleeve and stick it inside a Brenthaven ProLite II. It's a really nice case.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
suggestions on apps to DL that i couldnt have on a PPC mac?

Bootcamp, and MS Windows maybe? Other than that, most native mac apps that have been kept current will run on both PPC and Intel platforms. They'll just run faster.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
The first thing I would get would be Quicksiver can't live without it :cool:

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
it's a 14" ibook.

is that a 12'' ibook or a 14'' ibook?

i'm still really looking at the booq vyper xm bag. the other bags i've been looking at either seem too bulky or aren't very good looking. doe anyone have pictures of theirs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.