Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
I'm stuck way back on 10.5.8, my little Intel iMac is running like a dog's dinner & I've had enough.

I know I don't need the very latest OS, but I know I need to upgrade. I also have a very low budget. Can anyone suggest what might be the easiest & cheapest way to cobble together a new OS from second hand OS discs, probably from eBay or somewhere, then maybe go for an upgrade from the Apple site? Do they still offer upgrades for older OS or is it all Lion/MtnLion nowadays?

Cheers.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The Apple disk is a full installer. Yes, the eBay item is over-priced.

While I would recommend updating to 10.6, you would get the most from it by maxing out the RAM, if you haven't, and replacing the hard drive with either a larger, faster one, or an SSD.

When you say that your Mac is "running like a dog's dinner", what do you mean, exactly? What model Mac do you have?

An OS X installation shouldn't normally slow down over time, nor should clean installs be necessary for maintenance. However, if you're running newer software than that which was contemporary with Leopard, then it may be making excessive demands on your ageing hardware.

Snow Leopard is certainly "a bit snappier" than Leopard on most hardware. But the major benefit is one of compatibility with more modern software.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
It's running really slowly sometimes, especially when running photoshop or illustrator. It never used to be like this. I reinstalled OSX leapard about 6 months ago and regularly run mac keep er & repair privilages, but nothing seems to work.

I'm thinking of upgrading the ram. Can you suggest anywhere selling it cheap? I know my imac will take up to 4gb (I'm currently 1) and that I'd need 2gb to move up to lion, should I wish to.

I have Snow Leopard coming in the post, so I might think about memory next.

It's an Intel Core 2 Duo imac 2GH processor, serial W8810076X85

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Don't use MacKeeper. A quick Google will show it to be somewhat controversial.

You do not need to do any preventative maintenance on OS X. Repair Permissions does very little these days. Reinstalling the OS usually doesn't help, as most problems are in the User account (caches, prefs, settings, etc).

That having been said, I would recommend Onyx, if you do have to troubleshoot an issue.

However, 1GB of RAM with Photoshop & Illustrator is likely to see lots of swapping memory out to disk, which will cause spinning wheels and slow downs. You can see your memory usage with Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder.

Definitely put as much RAM in as you can. Memory is pretty cheap these days. I buy from Crucial's UK site.

I have just retired a 2006 iMac. It ran Lion reasonably well with 3 GB, using Creative Suite 4, but was starting to show its age.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
So no Mackeeper eh? What a waste of money that was then!!

Any links to cheap memory for my spec of imac? And instructions on how to install it? I've fitted ram on a macbook before but never an imac....

Thanks for your support....

:)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
On the Crucial site, you enter your model of Mac, and it will tell you what you need.
There will be instructions for how to do it on the Apple Support pages.
You unscrew a flap on the bottom of the iMac and click the modules in.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
£25 for Snow Leopard is very reasonable on eBay UK. I have seen it sold for more than that. It is also your best upgrade as Snow Leopard is one of OS X best releases - fast and staple and gets you access to nice features like the Mac App Store. Given the likely age of your machine I would stay away from Lion and Mountain Lion as they are more resource hungry than Snow Leopard - particularly RAM.

Edit :Sorry did not realise Apple was selling it for £14 - just read your 2nd post - In that case get it from Apple.

Last edited:

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Ooookay. Bear with me guys, I'm not exactly a whizz.

I've done the scan from the Crucial page and it's come up with my options.

It's showing one slot filled with my current 1GB ram, and the next slot empty. Now even with my limited maths abilities, that says to me if I stick a 2GB in that second slot I'll be running 3GB total, correct?

I must sound like such a tool, but if these forums weren't out there I'd be fooked....

:p

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

It's showing one slot filled with my current 1GB ram, and the next slot empty. Now even with my limited maths abilities, that says to me if I stick a 2GB in that second slot I'll be running 3GB total, correct?

I must sound like such a tool, but if these forums weren't out there I'd be fooked....

What does the "about this Mac" say? I ask as apple almost always installs ram in 2 slots, not just one.

If one is indeed empty, you can add ram up to how much your machine supports.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
What does the "about this Mac" say? I ask as apple almost always installs ram in 2 slots, not just one.

If one is indeed empty, you can add ram up to how much your machine supports.

Good thinking, although according to my mac's spec:

BANK 0/DIMMO 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHZ OK

BANK 1/DIMM1 Empty Empty Empty Empty

So I think I'm good to go?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

First, with that serial you can go to THIS site and you'll see there yours can go up to 6 GB total, I would recommend this as it will greatly improve the speed.

And, as others have said, stay away from MacKeeper, another one to stay away from is CleanMyMac.
Your Mac normally does not need maintenance, the system takes care of this, only if you get into trouble then you can use an App like Onyx, which the other one mentioned.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
i could be wrong, but it appears the poster you quoted was asking how to install ram, not how to uninstall mackeeper.

lol

----------

Yeah, I think I have uninstalling mackeeper covered....

Right, I've ordered a single block of 2gb ram. What do I do to install the bugger? I have limited tools. My tool kit for general jobs around the home consists of varying sizes of hammer. I'm guessing I might need a screwdriver or something for this? :)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
As I said, the Apple Support pages will have instructions for your model of iMac.
Unscrew the cover, slot it in.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Would suggest getting Disk Warrior or TechTool

PLUS and external Firewire drive.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
lol

----------

Yeah, I think I have uninstalling mackeeper covered....

Right, I've ordered a single block of 2gb ram. What do I do to install the bugger? I have limited tools. My tool kit for general jobs around the home consists of varying sizes of hammer. I'm guessing I might need a screwdriver or something for this? :)

Now, that was funny.:D

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

Get 2 2GB sticks, pull out the 1GB and match your RAM. It'll make the system run better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.