Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
I'm trying to troubleshoot DaVinci Resolve not starting on 5.1 Mac Pro with Big Sur (Open Core).

[My board info is 7.1 and I'm not using Lilu or whatevergreen currently. I had the same issued when I used them before, so running without is an effort to try all options.]

It seemingly hangs in the 'gpu detect' phase of the startup.

I'm guessing this is a side effect of enabling HWacceleration and other OC hacks?

On my other computer, an iMac 2020, I set Resolve up to configure the GPU manually and that ended up in an entry in Resolve's config.dat (a file that is read on startup by Resolve) like this:

Local.GPU.Mapping = gpu:47868fe1.a0aa77a0
Local.GPU.Mode = Metal

Now I would like to find the similar GPU identifier (the numbers and letters part) on my Mac Pro for the Vega Frontier so that I can hardcode it manually to see if that satisfies Resolve on startup. I don't know if the address is Resolve internal, or if anyone recognises it and if it's available via Terminal?

Apart from that, on every reboot, my desktop wallpaper resets to Mojave that I had earlier, even though I've changed it to Big Sur dynamic on many occasions. It just won't stick. I wonder if I have an issue with file/folder write permissions or something similar. Is that common after OC installs?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Have you tried just changing that Local.GPU.Mapping to = 0 or 1 yet? It was an older version workaround for awhile, but might not work in the latest.

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
No, but thanks for the suggestion!

I'll try it.

EDIT: That didn't work, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.