Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
(if there is "Apple" or "iCloud" troubleshooting section, I guess this thread fits there...)

Greetings!
The thing is... I have two Apple Stuff, iPhone and iMac. My friend (family member) has iPhone and iMac aswell.

It doesn't matter if one of us use phone/computer with the internet for a whole day or just for few minutes. When We check Find My app later, We don't see our or eachother other devices location from the time We had access to the internet.

For example... I have iPhone connected to the internet from 1 to 4 p.m. . When I turn off Wi-Fi and go to Find My app on my iMac (or my friend go to Find My app on his iPhone/iMac), there is no my location from 1-4 p.m. (just a random one, valid of course, but from earlier).

The only way to achieve that, and by "that" I mean "see the last online / the current location" is when:
1. We both have internet connection and, for example, I use Find My App on any device - in that case I see current position of my friend.
OR
2. I have internet connection and go to Find My app on my device - in that case my iPhone (for example) uploads (or something...) it's location so if I check it on my iMac or my friend checks it on his phone/computer later, We can see my phone's location from the time I had Find My app ON.

Meh, it's so hard to explain that kind of trouble... Nonetheless, I hope it is possible to fix that. I just want to see my other devices (or my family members) location from the time they were connected to the internet for the last time... Without having my Find My app open all the time.

Anyone? Anything?

Best Regards!

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Have you tried reaching out to Apple about this? It's sometimes a bug in their system. Works fine for me tho.

Try to log-out/log-in your Apple ID.

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
Have you tried reaching out to Apple about this? It's sometimes a bug in their system. Works fine for me tho.

Try to log-out/log-in your Apple ID.
Everything working normally me also.. Do you have everything enabled in the "find my section" in settings?

Guys, sorry a lot for my delayed response, I hope You still are eager to help me :)

I contacted with Apple Crew. In their opinion everything should works fine. I have everything enabled in the "find my" section settings. Find My / Offline finding / Send last location - everything is toggled on. Either "send my location". Moreover, Find My location arrow (Privacy Section) is getting full purple from time to time, so it should upload my location I guess...
Find My and Maps are "while using". I use internet for some time on my Iphone, go offline, then go to Find My on another device, but there is no recent iPhone location. I have to "upload" my location by going to Find My on iPhone OR I have to be online on iPhone when I go to Find My on Mac to get recent iPhone location.
It's the same when it comes to my or my friend (Family sharing-cloud) another devices. I was the one to set them up... Did I do something wrong or it may be "AppleID log out and log in" matter? Maybe I toggled something on/off unnecessarily?

How it works for You? You are connected to the internet (iPhone for example), browsing, watching, playing etc., and when You take a break and go offline (internet off), You have Your last online location if You check it out on Mac (or another devices) a 5-10 minutes later?

Please, do Your best :(
Best Regards!

Last edited:

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I am not sure if I am still able to help. I have all toggled on as well (connected to the internet, location service = on, offline finding, etc.)

Still works fine.

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
I am not sure if I am still able to help. I have all toggled on as well (connected to the internet, location service = on, offline finding, etc.)

Still works fine.

How about Privacy -> Location services -> System Services?
Find My and Send My Location are toggled-on I guess. Is there something else for this kind of matter?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Everything is enabled on my phone and the only time I don't receive location on "find my" is when the device is offline. The device needs to be online to be located. That's why when someone steals your device and shuts the phone off you won't receive a location until it is powered on and connected to the internet again... When my Mac is powered off it says offline on "find my" with no location. When I turn it on, it appears as soon as it connects to my wifi...

Reactions: duanepatrick

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
Everything is enabled on my phone and the only time I don't receive location on "find my" is when the device is offline. The device needs to be online to be located. That's why when someone steals your device and shuts the phone off you won't receive a location until it is powered on and connected to the internet again... When my Mac is powered off it says offline on "find my" with no location. When I turn it on, it appears as soon as it connects to my wifi...

I am more than glad that You want to spend some of Your time to help me :) You ALL do!
But let me make something clear...

Let's assume You have iPhone and another... for example iMac device.
You go Online (WiFi or cellular) from 1 to 5 PM, then You go offline. If You go to Find My on iMac later, for example 8PM, You will see where You iPhone was at ~4-5PM (it was online at that time), right? Despite the fact that when You check it out (8PM) Your iPhone is offline already. Am I right? It's "Send my last location" or something...

"That's why when someone steals your device and shuts the phone off you won't receive a location" - when someone shuts your iphone at, for example, 4PM but You want to try to find it some time later (up to 24h since it is offline), Find My on another device will show You Your iPhone's location from ~4PM, despite the fact phone is shutted down already. Right? Or am I wrong? :D

If what I mentioned above is correct, this stuff doesn't work for me ;(

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
No I get no location. Send last location only happens when you run the battery critically low. These are the exact words under "send last location"

Automatically send the location of this iPhone to Apple when the battery is critically low...
Do you have "find my network" enabled? It is supposed to allow you to find your device even if it's offline..

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
No I get no location. Send last location only happens when you run the battery critically low. These are the exact words under "send last location"

Automatically send the location of this iPhone to Apple when the battery is critically low...
Do you have "find my network" enabled? It is supposed to allow you to find your device even if it's offline..

"Find my network" is enabled, but it works only with bluetooth ON and another Apple device in close area if Im not wrong...

But, sorry, I have to ask again... If I want to "upload" my device's location (in Find My) there are two ways (let assume it's about iPhone) FOR ME:
1) I have to go ONLINE and go to Find My iPhone then. After that I can go offline. When I check my Find My (on Mac for example) later, iPhone is offline, but with "last seen" when I was "online + in Find My app".
2) I have to go ONLINE. I don't have to go to Find My iPhone ( like in 1) ), but instead need to go to Find My on another device (Mac for example). I can see my iPhone (and Mac, of course) current location there.

Those 2 ways works for me, but when I go ONLINE and stay with gaming, browsing, weather checking etc., my location is not "uploaded". I go offline after hours, and when check my Find My devices later, my location from ONLINE period is not there. Just "not found" or something from the past.
That's how it should work?? If that's the case, why Find My (from Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services) gets purple arrow every few minutes?

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
Maybe you're experiencing what everyone in this thread are:
Heh, maybe, but I dont think my battery is draining so much :p

So if I use internet connection for some time on my iPhone, then go offline, its impossible to check my phone's location later (to see where my phone was while I was using internet connection)?

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I'm not sure, my devices show last location every time I've checked. Honestly, I've never lost a device so I've never needed to use "find my" and I rarely look on the app to see if it's updating consistently during the day. All I know when I do look everything shows up except my 2007 MacBook and backup iPhone 6s which haven't been powered on in over a month so they just say "no location".

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
I'm not sure, my devices show last location every time I've checked. Honestly, I've never lost a device so I've never needed to use "find my" and I rarely look on the app to see if it's updating consistently during the day. All I know when I do look everything shows up except my 2007 MacBook and backup iPhone 6s which haven't been powered on in over a month so they just say "no location".
But do You see Your iPhone's last location even if device is offline for some time?
If Your iPhone is online from 1 to 3 PM, then go offline, do You see its location when You check it on Your Mac later (4PM for example)? Do You see "last seen 1 or 2 or 3 PM"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.