Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I have never seen this issue before and apparently neither has Apple. I talked to support several times about this and I had to explain the issue several times before they understood, then they were as puzzled as I am.

The problem- If I power off my SE 2022 with the battery fully charged, it will be fully drained when I try to turn it back on. I didn't think much of this for the first year that I had the phone, I switch between phones a lot so it would sit powered off in my drawer for weeks or months at a time. It's still findable while off which does use power, so I figured it was normal for it to slowly drain. I only realized the drain was abnormal a couple weeks ago when I turned it off on a friday night with a full battery, then went to use it again on Sunday only to be met with the "connect charger" screen. Battery capacity is at 99% and battery life and performance are perfectly normal during use, it only drains when it's powered off.

Troubleshooting I've done- I charged it to 100% and powered it off(fully off, not just turning the screen off), then turned it back on at the same time the next day. Completely dead. So I charged it up again, disabled find my iPhone this time, then once again turned it off and back on 24 hours later. This time the battery was still at 100%. So it's clearly FMI draining the battery, but why so fast?

I have 4 iPhones- the SE, 13 pro, 14 pro, and 8 plus. All have FMI enabled, 13 + 14 pros are also findable while off but the SE is the only one that drains completely within a day when turned off. In contrast, my 13 pro sat powered down for 6 full months with FMI on and it only lost a few percent. Granted, the SE does have a smaller battery, but a 2000mAh battery still shouldn't be sucked dry literally overnight while a 3000mAh battery can hold on for months.

I'm going to get an express replacement either way, this is just super weird and I'm curious if anything like this has happened to anyone else. If so, were you able to figure out the issue?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.