Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello.

We're an iPhone household, at least me, my sister, her husband and my mother.

I don't use location for nearly any app, but I have find my available and a mac at home to check its location, should I lose it.

Today my mother almost lost her iPhone 14 and I started thinking of a solution for us, her family, to track the phone, as it could probably happen again; she doesn't have an other apple device to check find my with and logging into her apple id on a computer requires the 2fa from the iPhone itself.

So, I was wondering.
Is there a way to authorise a family member to check the location of your iPhone only when you open the find my app?

I'm not interested in randomly keeping tabs on her movements.

Of course I discussed this with her, and she was consensual.
It would just be an emergency solution should she lose the phone again.

Thank you.

I'm on an iPhone 13 while my sister and my mother are on an iPhone 14.
We're all on iOS 16.5

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Is there a way to authorise a family member to check the location of your iPhone only when you open the find my app?

I'm not interested in randomly keeping tabs on her movements.
I also have this question. I was told there is a way for someone to sign in to Find My on another iPhone to find their iPhone but I don't know how to do this or if it's even possible. I had a coworker lose their iPhone and that would have been great.

There has to be a way to do this or at least there should be.

I don't think turning on 24/7 location tracking is a reasonable solution for many people. Even with family members many are not comfortable with this. There's no indication if or when the person is actively monitoring your location so that even makes it worse. Maybe for tracking your child that's fine but most adults don't like the thought of someone being able to pinpoint their location at will.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I also have this question. I was told there is a way for someone to sign in to Find My on another iPhone to find their iPhone but I don't know how to do this or if it's even possible. I had a coworker lose their iPhone and that would have been great.

There has to be a way to do this or at least there should be.

I don't think turning on 24/7 location tracking is a reasonable solution for many people. Even with family members many are not comfortable with this. There's no indication if or when the person is actively monitoring your location so that even makes it worse. Maybe for tracking your child that's fine but most adults don't like the thought of someone being able to pinpoint their location at will.
Exactly
Not to mention I have location services disabled, however I could track the position other people shared with me on maps.
I'd like to know if something similar was possible for find my.
I won't enable location services on my end, but if that's mandatory, my sister might be fine with it.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Exactly
Not to mention I have location services disabled, however I could track the position other people shared with me on maps.
I'd like to know if something similar was possible for find my.
I won't enable location services on my end, but if that's mandatory, my sister might be fine with it.
Without location services I’m guessing find my doesn’t work if you lose your phone? Also will insurance pay if it’s lost?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.