Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jihad the movie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2003
Smugtown, NY
Lately, I have been running Konfabulator's WhatsGoingOn widget, and every once in awhile it says my processor is idle 0% of the time, that the finder is taking up 57.3 of my cpu and 14.5 of my memory. It does not say if that is a percent or what, but all I know is that the most any given app takes up is usually 10.1 of the CPU and 7.8 of the memory, and that is usually Safari.

I also put my mac to sleep a lot, and try to maintain week long uptimes. The longer I keep it on for, the less free memory i have. I only run three applications, mainly Safari, iTunes and AIM (hey now, file transfers are enough to keep me using it) I have 784 MB of ram, and it now hovers at 243mb. I run Mac Janitor once a day and try to free up some resources, but lose about 20mb of memory every time I use it. So say i had 512 free, then my memory ran down to 200mb, I would run mac janitor and get 492 mb free. What is taking it all up? And no AIM is not taking up it all, I checked, and it uses the least memory of the three.

Thanks in advance

Justin.

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
:confused: What version of osx are you using? In panther, if you go nto your applications folder, and then the utilites folder, there is an application called Activity Monitor. According to Activity Monitor, my Finder takes up less than 1 percent of my cpu. I do have a dual 2ghz powermac g5, which could throw the test off. I also leave my computer on in sleep mode for several days in a row. Maybe it vairies from os to os. But of my 1 gigabyte of ram, I only have 250 megabyes free. When I ran What's Going On, it took up 9% of my CPU, more than the finder and window manager combined!

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
"Free" RAM is very misleading. Even though you might not have any "Free" memory, the unused memory can be reclaimed by the OS for use. However, it usually isn't in my experience. If you are only running iTunes, AIM, etc... then you shouldn't see it as a problem until the computer starts to slow down (noticeably). Until then, the OS is reclaiming memory that it needs and such. If youre running Konfabulator, that eats RAM and CPU out the butt, so dont come complaining if youre running it :D

jihad the movie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2003
Smugtown, NY
I am running 10.2.8... I only started running Konfabulator to see what was slowing everything down, I liked to use it more than Process Viewer. I will stop using konfabulator and see what happens. Thanks!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Restart and try killing konfabulator, I dunno, but on my computer the finder uses 0.00% of my cpu when I'm not using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.