Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erikularius gobertus II.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2019
Hey there, I have a very annoying bug destroying my workflow. The with of the column view is extraordinary wide - wider than the longest file name. This bug appears with every folder anywhere.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-16 um 23.51.05.png
If I resize it once to the correct size, all the following folders have the correct column with. But it is very annoying having to resize the first folder every time I want to use this view. I've had this problem since High Sierra and it has not been fixed so far. Im on Version 10.14.4 right now.

What can I do?

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
YES!

haha stupid me, thank you Soooo much ;)

greetings from vienna

No, this is not you being "stupid". It's just a bad design of the human interaction with software, it's not explicitly obvious to the user, it's not "just works" and this seems to be a path Apple undertook as they unfold their progress into the future.
Also this is a very old bug going as far back as to Lion: I know this because I run it and Mavericks too. At some point highlighting an object in Finder in a column view stretches out the column the object belongs to and browsing the hierarchy back and forth is impeded by the unreasonable width that you have to resize manually every time you select another item.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.