Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecounthahaha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Hi,

I've had the problem for a few days now, and the only thing I can think of is I've done the latest security update for OSX Sierra 10.12.6.

The main issue is that after some time after booting, (I don't know how long), finder will refuse to copy or duplicate files without a reboot first, instead 'preparing to copy' indefinitely instead. Force quitting finder doesn't fix it, a restart is required.

I've already deleted the finder prefs, and it still happens... any other fixes that I could try?

Ideally I'd try to avoid restoring from a TM backup, as there are some bits of software I use that don't enjoy that process very much!

Thanks!

thecounthahaha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
An update to this - it appears to be related to going to screensaver for an extended amount of time. I'm still testing it, as it isn't an immediate thing, but I've not experienced it before it having gone to screensaver mode. My settings have always been 'do not go to sleep', so it's not a waking from sleep issue theoretically.

I've turned off the screensaver, so will keep an eye on it, but I'd be very appreciative if this is something someone's had experience with and/or if there are any 'fix' ideas you might have!

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.