Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
After upgrading to Big Sur the finder displays additional folders in my ~/Documents folder, which seems to be copies or links to folders of applications in ~/Library/Containers. The folders are only shown in the finder, not in the terminal. The can not be deleted or moved.

Does anybody know, how to get rid of these folders, I do not want my Documents folder to be cluttered by Apple...

Thanks for your help!

Alwis

I’m bumping this for you.

I keep getting a Library folder appearing in my home/Documents folder.

I delete it and it comes back after a while. It’s an empty folder that points to containers. Very annoying.

I know my system is clean and I only use safe apps.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I’m bumping this for you.

I keep getting a Library folder appearing in my home/Documents folder.

I delete it and it comes back after a while. It’s an empty folder that points to containers. Very annoying.

I know my system is clean and I only use safe apps.
Just noticed this myself...all the folders are empty ????

Attachments

• 1616968892386.png
    1616968892386.png
    82 KB · Views: 67

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2017
Meanwhile I am not sure if this is a bug or intended by Apple, maybe the „we know how you should use your Mac“, I would nit be surprise.

But setting the hidden flag, as described in post #25 solved the issue for me. It is not ideal, but a workaround I can live with.

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
Why Apple, why ?.

I'm going to just unistall all the Apps that are now polluting the Documents folder. Won't be possible with QuickTime and TextEdit. But at least I will have my Documents folder back.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
You know, I've read through the whole thread, and all I get out of it is people who who think they should enable Desktop and Documents in iCloud, but don't know what it means.

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2017
You know, I've read through the whole thread, and all I get out of it is people who who think they should enable Desktop and Documents in iCloud, but don't know what it means.

I have not enabled any of this and I had these additional folders until I set the hidden flag.

Apple should not pollute directories the user is supposed to place its own data into. Beside that I think organizing data by application is s real bad idea...

makj

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2023
Nacka, Sweden
Unfortunately this not only hides ~/Documents but also the original location. But I guess this the best solution we have until Apple removes this silly feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.