Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erhtun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Hi!
I have a problem with image dimensions in Finder. Finder doesn't show image dimension info in preview column and Get Info window. But when I open in Preview app I can see dimensions in Get Info window. How to solve this problem.

Last edited:

erhtun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
If I want to sort my images by resolution

Thanks for your reply. If I want to sort images by dimension, I can't do that. Because Finder doesn't know image dimensions. You can see images below.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 8.32.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 8.32.14 AM.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 3,371

erhtun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
This is what I want to. There is a problem and I didn't find any solution.

erhtun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Have you tried rebuilding your Spotlight index? I believe the image dimensions displayed in Finder are stored in Spotlight, but if you open the file with Preview, it gets the dimensions from reading the file.

How to rebuild Spotlight index?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

erhtun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Try re-indexing your drive: If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
sudo mdutil -E /​

That only appears to be an option in the Pictures folder. Dimensions isn't available in other folders, unless something has changed between Mavericks and Yosemite.

Ok. Rebuilding Spotlight index solves the problem. Thank you for your advice.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
My finder shows dimensions just fine and allows sorting also.

@jbarley - what software did you use so that finder windows display the dimensions as a part of the window header?
It's not a standard Finder option, or a setting that I can discover in the system.
I see the dimensions in a Get Info window, but how did you get the dimensions to appear as a file category in the Finder window?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
@jbarley - what software did you use so that finder windows display the dimensions as a part of the window header?
It's not a standard Finder option, or a setting that I can discover in the system.
I see the dimensions in a Get Info window, but how did you get the dimensions to appear as a file category in the Finder window?
As I mentioned before, that option is only available when viewing the Pictures folder. It's not an option on other folders.
Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 12.39.04 PM.PNG

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
As I mentioned before, that option is only available when viewing the Pictures folder. It's not an option on other folders.

I saw your post earlier - but still would like to know how you have that added as a category.
And, I'm looking at Pictures folders in a Lion, and a Mavericks, and a Yosemite system, and none have a ~/Pictures folder with Dimensions displayed. Just curious where you find the option to turn that on, for the Pictures folder, or any other folder, fwiw...?

- NEVERMIND - found it, your dropdown shows it clearly, and I was trying way too hard to make it NOT work. Sorry for wasting your time :D
BTW - the Movies folder has other choices, such as duration... Also, Music has others, too!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.