Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
My sidebar favorites in Finder keep randomly disappearing in Big Sur 11.0.1. A restart doesn't bring them back, I have to manually drag back in my items, like movies, downloads, and a few custom folders.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 9.01.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 9.01.35 PM.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 473
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 9.05.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 9.05.30 PM.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 233

buckrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2020
Fresno, California
Added the folders back in manually.
Ok. Do the folders randomly disappear while the Finder window remains open. Or do they disappear in the time between closing and reopening the Finder window? If they simply don’ t stick when reopened, I think your problem may be related to the resizing of open/save windows that lots of folks are seeing, including me. Check this discussion. The good news is that it is fixed in the release candidate 2 of 11.2.

Reactions: chabig

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Ok. Do the folders randomly disappear while the Finder window remains open. Or do they disappear in the time between closing and reopening the Finder window? If they simply don’ t stick when reopened, I think your problem may be related to the resizing of open/save windows that lots of folks are seeing, including me. Check this discussion. The good news is that it is fixed in the release candidate 2 of 11.2.
Interesting, thanks. No, it happens when a window is closed. They just don't go poof as I watch, or something like that. What is weird is I've had Big Sur for months now and this just started happening this week. I'll await the update.

buckrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2020
Fresno, California
If you have your USB installer, just reinstall MacOS on top of your existing drive. It is perfectly safe but will refresh a lot of system stuff. Personally, I’d install 11.1 or wait a few more days for the 11.2 release. Try to make and use a USB installer if you can.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Just noticed it cleared all of my cities in my weather widgets, also :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.49.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 10.49.34 AM.png
    336 KB · Views: 121

DJ Rob

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2020
Had the same issue with Finder sidebar favorites resetting to the default selection a few times, but it seems to have sorted itself out. I'm on 11.6, however the issue has not reoccured for at least a couple of months.

• Sad
Reactions: itsapple

DrKarl

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
Montana
Favorites disappeared for me yesterday - about 2/3 of the folders that I had dragged into the Favorites sidebar were just gone. Apparently there used to be a plist file for this list. In Big Sur (11.6.6 at the moment), I finally found the list in

~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.FavoriteItems.sfl2

With that item highlighted, I entered Time Machine and clicked the up/back in time button and the last backed up version was a month ago (which is weird, since I had manually removed a few item since then), and was bigger in size than the current file. Restoring it (replace option) restored everything in the sidebar. I have no idea what might have corrupted it, but good to not have to recreate the list of items.

Reactions: warnergt

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
This happens to me on my iMac, but not my Mac Mini, even though they are always running the latest non-beta version of macOS. And not all of my favorites disappear, but many do. VERY frustrating. Many of them are OneDrive folders, but that can't be the issue because they're the same folders I dragged to the Favorites sidebar on my Mac Mini and those don't disappear.

So as a workaround, what I'm doing is creating a "favorites" folder in my home directory and putting aliases in there for all the folders I normally had over in my sidebar. Then I drag the "favorites" folder to the Finder sidebar. So now if macOS decides to randomly remove THAT folder from the sidebar, all I have to do is drag ONE folder back, not many.

Last edited:
Reactions: warnergt

tkjune

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
This happens to me on my iMac, but not my Mac Mini, even though they are always running the latest non-beta version of macOS. And not all of my favorites disappear, but many do. VERY frustrating. Many of them are OneDrive folders, but that can't be the issue because they're the same folders I dragged to the Favorites sidebar on my Mac Mini and those don't disappear.

So as a workaround, what I'm doing is creating a "favorites" folder in my home directory and putting aliases in there for all the folders I normally had over in my sidebar. Then I drag the "favorites" folder to the Finder sidebar. So now if macOS decides to randomly remove THAT folder from the sidebar, all I have to do is drag ONE folder back, not many.
Generally same to me. Happens to my MBP 14 2021, but not in my iMac 2015, same macOS 12.6.2. VERY frustrating too.

n00byn4t3r

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
Unfortunately this is still happening on my MBA 2020 i7 with macOS Sonoma. Can't seem to find any fixes online either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.