Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris curran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I am fairly new at macs. We have a mac osx panther. In the last couple of days when you are in Finder & you click on Help it appears blank. you can type in a question but nothing happpens. Any ideas what I've done or more particularly how to fix it?
thanks

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
This is a fairly common problem. Deleting the following files (where ~ is your home folder) should fix it.

• ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.help.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.helpui.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.helpviewer.plist
  • ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui/

chris curran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Finder help has returned

Thanks HexMonkey, what a talent you are. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did the first of your three suggestions, but I was a bit nervous about the last as there was a lot of stuff there. I went back to finder help & voila it was back.
If you are briefly able to tell me what I might have done so I don't do the same thing would be appreciated. I had installed Limewire and was playing some music. I noticed your suggestions has plist at the end.
thanks again :D

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
I don't think there is a specific cause. The files I mentioned just seem to get corrupted occasionally, which stops Help Viewer from working properly. Hopefully Apple will fix the bugs that cause it soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.