Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoyalElephant

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
Hi there.

My MacBook crashed today suddenly, and when it came back on most dock icons were missing, I was able to get them back by removing and re-adding to the dock but the finder icon as you all know can't be removed and re-added. I've restarted and did an disk repair and even tried changing the icon, but I can't seem to be able to do that anymore so that must be thing of the past.

I have no idea what to do, I've searched and forum posts about this happening Yosemite but have yet to find a working solution and am posting her as a last resort.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

EDIT: Resolved.
Anyone else with this issue:

Run this in Terminal:

defaults delete com.apple.dock
killall Dock

Then restart even if it looks like nothing happened.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 15.44.41 copy.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 15.44.41 copy.png
    351.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Hi there.

My MacBook crashed today suddenly, and when it came back on most dock icons were missing, I was able to get them back by removing and re-adding to the dock but the finder icon as you all know can't be removed and re-added. I've restarted and did an disk repair and even tried changing the icon, but I can't seem to be able to do that anymore so that must be thing of the past.

I have no idea what to do, I've searched and forum posts about this happening Yosemite but have yet to find a working solution and am posting her as a last resort.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

When you create a new user account and login into that one, does it have the correct icon?

You can't change the Finder icon manually anymore, as it is protected in El Capitan. You'd have to disable SIP first by rebooting into Recovery (command + r) and typing 'csrutil disable' without quotes into a Terminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.